Dual Microphone, earphone, wide angle Isight lens

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by m2uk, Dec 29, 2004.

1. m2uk macrumors regular

Jan 13, 2004
    Hi there. I have a "shopping list" that I've not found answers to by plugging through Google!

Essentially I am looking for three things to make my IChat video calls to my parents (in another country) a little easier. If anyone has some tips or pointers to products that would be really appreciated (or, if you are a hardware designer, and nothing exists, I claim my IPR and will happily test it with you and discuss a modest fee (grin).

Objective is that both my parents can more comfortably sit and both participate in a video conf at the same time with me (at times a likewise set up would be good for my partner and me).

1. Wide angle lens for isight.. Just to mean that both can sit in the picture easier and more comfortably than they can do now (or the computer has to be further away and harder to control).

2. Dual microphone and earphones. Currently they have a Plantronics USB headset but that means only one can use it (using Isight Mic and/or external speakers is not the best option for sound quality, feedback plus the old man's hearing...) IDEALLY the ability to connect two headsets via USB (he has an old 800MHZ iMac G4 currently) so that they can both speak (and be heard clearly) yet hear the responses back would be excellent.

But if the headset with two of everything doesn't exist, even two standalone items would be better as currently they have to listen on speakers, get feedback and hold the boom mic from the speakers and my father seems to end up shouting down it and nearly eating the top of it (if you can imagine it).

So... does anyone have solutions (moving back home or buying hearing aids are not viable here!).

Thanks in advance guys and gals.
  2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Apr 7, 2003
    I've been looking at old threads as I'm thinking of getting an iSight. Hope you've found some answers. I've never heard of a wide angle lens for an iSight. Would it be possible to position it further away from them?

Belkin has a headphone splitter . My guess is that it would work ok for what you need it for although you would still need an external microphone. Not the smoothest workaround.

Here is something that looks more like what you're looking for, I googled for "mobile headset splitter"

Good Luck!
  3. GodBless macrumors 65816

Jan 22, 2005
    The Griffin iMic plugs into your USB port and basically acts as an external sound card that has a line in (microphone) jack as well as an audio out (speaker/headphone) jack. If I were you I'd buy two of them (one for your mom and one for your dad). I'm not too sure if it can be run with low USB power (ie. through the Apple keyboard). If it can then you are in good shape. If it can't and your mom and dad have a USB hub this might be a perfect solution anyway. If they don't have a USB hub then now might be a good time to get one.

Here is the web page regarding the product: http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic/
  4. m2uk thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 13, 2004
    HERE was I thinking that all was ignored and a flurry come in !
    Thanks for the tips so far.

UGG: I had planned on USB (that is what they have now) for "ease of use" (especially coming from the Wintel world) but your parallel thinking has reminded me that I have some splitters for audio work here so I could give them one of them. USB would have been nicer (2 x combined mikes/headsets is more elegant!). Sitting further back is not an option for them !

Jadam: Thanks for this. Again I had fixated on USB but will give it a try! But then both need one (wonder if a spliter can be used for that) but I would then to get the IMIC also to use this (as GoodBless reminds).

But if anyone wants to develop an all in one USB solution..: !

Thanks !