Dual moniters....

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by G3-Pwnz-G4, Jun 5, 2003.

1. G3-Pwnz-G4 macrumors regular

is it possible to do 2 things at once with 2 moniters? like play games on 1 and have AIM going on the other?

2. marcsiry macrumors member

Depends on your machine.

If you have 2 video cards in your G4 tower, heck ya. You can do whatever you want on either monitor (barring games like Starcraft or Warcraft that take over the screen, but you can put those into "window mode" if necessary).

If you have an iBook, you can only do "video mirroring," which means both monitors display the same image.

However, there is apparently a hack that allows you to display separate images on an external monitor attached to an iBook.

3. G3-Pwnz-G4 thread starter macrumors regular

i got a B&W g3 tower. so i can only do them both if i run a game that can go in window mode? damn...

btw i'm usin 9.2 cuz stupid 10 doesn't support voodoo cards....

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

having dual monitors is very useful, I'm currently using iChat and Safari on one and Project Builder and Maple on another...it's just really convenient. The only drawback is that usually dual monitor setups take up valuable space and sometimes you get a headache trying to stare at two monitors at the same time when you're doing some serious multitasking.

5. xelterran macrumors 6502

how exactly does the mouse get from 1 monitor to the other.. do you just move it to left/right side??

6. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

yep

once you go with 2 monitors, it's tough to go back.

arn

7. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

i agree , whenever i set my ibook up oin the desk its great to go beyond the twelve inches especially when working in photshop but then its also nice to have aim.safari open on the internal display.

8. jaesk8er macrumors member

jaesk8er

I have a PowerBook Ti and I run Duel w/ no problems. But your question is how do you move your mouse from screen to screen?? In the sys prefs in osX you can put the 2nd monitor any were like if you want it on top or left or what ever.

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I've had 4 aps going that I used at the same time on a dual setup - Lightwave, Modeler, Photoshop and Illustrator (mail, web and tunes as well), and it works fine.

I'll be updating my home system when the new machines come out and I'm hoping to get 2 20" LCDs. Its amazing how much better the work flow is with more space.

D

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

No kidding! I love having the extra screen real estate since my primary screen is always my TiBook. Now if only I could get one of those 20" LCD's for my second monitor instead of this 17" Mitsubishi I'd be very happy. Or a 23". Agggggghhhhhh... *Drools like Homer*

11. vniow macrumors G4

couple of ?s

What does OSX allow on the second monitor, can you have iTunes visuals and such on the second while normal stuff on the first?

What about DVDs? (doesn't have to be by Apple's own DVD player app...)

12. G3-Pwnz-G4 thread starter macrumors regular

i'm running an AppleVision850 (21") as my main screen, with an AppleVision750(17") as my 2nd one. i honestly love the AV-850. the 750 is one of the worst moniters i have ever seen. it's extremely blurry, only clear on certain resolutions, and has some serious color issues. the 850 is goin strong, with no problems at all.

13. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: couple of ?s

the second monitor is simply an extension of your desktop. it acts as one contiguous desktop. Drag windows back and forth etc...

[​IMG]

14. vniow macrumors G4

Re: Re: couple of ?s

Ah...I see, I was thinking that they were seperated somehow so that you could do things indepenently but I guess not...

So when you maxmize something on one monitor, it fills up both of them?

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Re: Re: Re: couple of ?s

No it's actually pretty smart about it, it'll only max out on one screen unless you drag the handle out to the other screen. You can do stuff independently on either one. Its very cool. Hard to work with only one monitor afterwards.

16. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

Re: Re: couple of ?s

is that a photo of you desk ?

17. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

<-----misses having an AGP card and a PCI video card in his pc :(

18. bbarnhart macrumors 6502a

bbarnhart

I've got a 17" LCD Studio Display and an old Sony 17" CRT monitor. Dual setup rocks. I 'feel' like I'm more productive with two monitors, but who really knows. It is a great setup having two monitors.

The PowerMac that I have has a ATI Radon 9000 Pro with two video connections so I didn't need anything extra to get it to work (except another monitor).

19. nef919 macrumors member

I have a 22" with my 15" ti book DVI. I have to mirror the display to watch DVDs on the 22.

20. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Sorry for going a little off topic, but how many times have you heard a line like this over the past 3 months? Anyone else think the 970 is going to sell more than just PowerMacs (like tons of 20" monitors)? Apple's going to be making money hand over fist in the first year of 970.

Anyway, I've seen dual monitors at the Apple Store in King of Prussia and have to say it's a brilliant concept and flawlessly executed, like most things Apple does.

21. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Well, personally, I've mentioned it several times ;)

It will be interesting, though, to see how well Apple keeps up with the demand. I might not buy mine immediately, either, it will depend heavily on a few things, one of which is making sure Apple delivers a fast enough machine first time out. I'm only going to get a dual, no single processor here.

D