Dual monitor not working in XP (boot camp)

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Design Agent, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Design Agent macrumors newbie

Sep 13, 2006

By using boot camp, I finally managed to install XP on my Macbook Pro. I can extend the monitor but the problem is that the extended monitor is in Black&WHite and totally jagged/off centered. I tested the adater and the cable with other machine and they work fine, so definitely issue is not the cable and the adapter.

I really need to use Dual monitor for some software that I use on XP, so this is really really important to me....

My MacbookPro is 2.16ghz with 2GB of RAM, and the video card is ATI Radeon X1600.

Maybe I need to install different driver for the card? If anyone has done the same please please let me know exactly how you did it.

Many thanks in advance!

Design Agent
  2. ewinemiller macrumors 6502

Aug 29, 2001
    west of Philly
    I use a second monitor all the time with my MBP. No black and white, no jaggy off center stuff, using the Apple video drivers, but I'm plugging into a DVI monitor.

You mention adaptor, are you using a VGA monitor? Does it work under OSX? Some DVI ports don't actually support the analog out (not sure if the MBP does or not), so that might be the issue.
  3. Design Agent thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 13, 2006
  4. ewinemiller macrumors 6502

Aug 29, 2001
    west of Philly
    I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions. I'm using the driver from bootcamp and dual monitor under OSX and Windows works fine.

Good luck
  5. Design Agent thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 13, 2006

Did it work with DVI to Video Adapter? or just DVI to VGA?

Design Agent
  6. ewinemiller macrumors 6502

Aug 29, 2001
    west of Philly
    I haven't tried it with any adaptor, just DVI. I'll see if I have time this evening to dig up a DVI-VGA adaptor and give it a whirl.
  7. ewinemiller macrumors 6502

Aug 29, 2001
    west of Philly
    I tried it using a DVI-VGA adapter I had laying about (not the Apple one) and I couldn't get a picture at all.

Good luck
  8. Macfanatic867 macrumors member

Nov 25, 2005
    Has any solution been found for this problem?
  9. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
  10. Henry macrumors newbie

Oct 4, 2006
    I've hooked up a 2nd CRT (analog) monitor in XP and had no problems. Also had to use the analog to DVI adaptor.

Only suggestion I would have is to get the latest driver (non beta) for the video. If your using one of the Cinematic display's download the drivers for it too.
  11. drval macrumors member

Oct 19, 2006
    Actually I'm working fine with just that setup -- going from DVI to VGA. I use the adapter that came with my MacBook Pro (or the one with the Mac Mini will work as well), but the real issue is that you have to pull one of the plugs from the VGA connector.

Get a VGA cable that you don't mind mangling -- because it may take some careful work to do this right. Or just have someone make one for you.

If you hold the male end of the VGA cable in front of you, rotate the cable connector so that the long end of the "rhomnoid" around the pins lies along the bottom. You have three rows of five pins in each row, with the first row begining at the left, then the middle row is offset to right and then the bottom row is back to the left. It should look something like this:
    / X o o o o \
    / o o o o o \
    / o o o o o \

with the X being the pin that needs to be removed. One cable is all you need to fix as it can then be used with any VGA sink -- LCD projector, monitor, etc.
  12. Plumbstone macrumors regular

Feb 6, 2007
    drval, thanks for that, works a treat but then you can't use the same cable when you switch back to OSX.
  13. wuzlwut macrumors newbie

Aug 14, 2007
    Dual Monitor Doesnt Work Either

hi! i have the same problem

using a MacBookPRO 2.4, Intel 2 Core Duo ... the latest model.

when i first installed bootcamp 1.3b, i could connect my MBP to a video projector in XP, having a dual monitor setup to make videoprojections.

then i updated to bootcamp 1.4b and the output i got on the second monitor is black&white and totally jagged.

i use the same adaptor from DVI - Video, and cable and adaptor work fine on other computers and on my MBP using OsX. DualMonitor using DVI works fine aswell in XP.

So i think its a driver issue, but i am not sure, and afterall not sure what to do ... i already deleted the XP partition and installed boot camp 1.3b -> didnt work
    i deleted XP again and installed bootcamp 1.4b -> didnt work ...

i dont know why it worked in the begining with 1.3b and now it doesnt ...
    anyone knows a solution to this problem? i really need windows for this kind of videoprojections (i wouldn't do so if there would be another posibility)

thanks for any help in advance!
  14. panzer06 macrumors 68030

Sep 23, 2006
    This is very interesting. My Macbook had no problem at all with the mini-dvi to vga adapter under xp. I will try my new MBP tonight.
  15. wuzlwut macrumors newbie

Aug 14, 2007
    still no solution?

sorry, but i still have the same problem ... its very important for me, that i can project via s-video or composite with my MPB with bootcamp and winXP ...
  16. TBi macrumors 68030

Jul 26, 2005
    They only said this configuration wasn't supported by apple. They never said it wouldn't work.
  17. wuzlwut macrumors newbie

Aug 14, 2007
    this was in 2006 (bootcamp 1.1b), as i can see on your posts date ...

anyway, a short summary:

1) Bootcamp 1.4b: DVI - VGA Adapter works for DualMonitor
    2) Bootcamp 1.4b: DVI direct output works for DualMonitor
    3) Bootcamp 1.3b & 1.4b: DVI - Video Adaptor doesn't work (adapter is ok, i tried it on other computers
    4) I need this output to connect S-Video/Composite - ANY SOLUTIONS????

my setup: MBP Intel Core 2 Duo, Santa Rosa, 15", BootCamp 1.4b, WinXP SP2
  18. djcyke macrumors newbie

Apr 9, 2010

dude you're a rockstar, this totally worked for me!

i was a bit reluctant to mangle the propriety cable, but then used the extra input on another cable et presto!
    now when boot into osx, i jsut switch cables, and oh, I just slighty pushed the pin aside so it doesnt connect, i didnt jank it out as that was more deifficult and seemed a bit drastic.

19. karalow, Oct 21, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2011

karalow macrumors newbie

Oct 21, 2011
    I have imac 20" from late 2006 with bootcamp 3.3; windows 7; viewsonic lcd second or dual monitor would not display though it was detected and you could mouse off into that display; it worked fine in mac os snow leopard. Bent the pin over after at least 20 hours of trying to figure out a solution and IT Worked! So happy. Booted into Mac OS and it worked, but at a lesser resolution (as in Win7 too); it doesn't show as ViewSonic with the higher available resoution with this fix but it works. The highest resolution I get is (in portrait mode) 1200x1600; if I change cable to unmodified, the resolution in OS X is 1920x1080 (landscape). I will change out the cable if I boot into Mac to get the higher resolution.