dual monitor on a g3 ibook

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thafat1, May 9, 2004.

1. thafat1 macrumors newbie

May 9, 2004
    baton rouge, louisiana
    i have a second monitor set up. i am running os10.2.8 on a g3 ibook (700mhz - 14.1") ..... and i'm wondring how to get it from the mirror image mode so i can drag my pallets to the second monitor. i talked to a friend who is running panther and he said his displays in system preferences has 3 tabs and it is under the third one - mine only has 2 tabs. where is my 'mirror image' option?

any help is appreciated. thanks in advance.

2. yoda13 macrumors 65816

Sep 26, 2003
    I am not clear exactly what you are talking about, but I will do my best. Your iBook only supports video mirroring without a special hack. So you don't have the option to span monitors unless you run the hack, which I believe violates whatever warranty that you might have. If this isn't what you were talking about, sorry, but its my best guess :)
  3. Doraemon macrumors 6502

Aug 31, 2001
    Europe (EU)

No dual display mode on the iBook.

Hack it, if you don't have warranty left. If you do, I wouldn't do it (especially, since there were reports of dead G3 iBooks after applying the hack).
  4. davegoody macrumors 6502

Apr 9, 2003
    Reading, Berkshire, England
    Screen Spanning DOES work on iBook AND iMac with the Hack

I have a 800mhz iMac (17") and I downloaded the Screen Spanning Doctor and it works perfectly giving me full spanning capability as well as retaining the mirror modes (should you need them) - I have also installed this on a number of iBooks (both G3 and G4) with no problems :) The link for downloads is below:

Do use this with caution though as it WILL invalidate your warranty. Not that I have ever had a problem with it though.

Good Luck !! :eek:
  5. thafat1 thread starter macrumors newbie

May 9, 2004
    baton rouge, louisiana
    hmmm....so people have done this and their iBook has just died on them? that doesn't sound too promising.

i dont have a warranty - but i dont have money to buy a new computer if this one craps out on me.

so, thanks for the help, but i guess if there is no surefire way to get it done with no problems, i'll just stick to my laptop display :( oh well?