Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tikihunter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2003
Maryland
I recently bought the 23" cinema display to replace my 15" cinema display. I would like to use both in a dual display setup. The main use of the 15" will be to view TV, via a TV tuner card.

So my question is does anyone have suggestions on what video card and TV tuner card would work best together? One of my concerns is that most of the TV tuner cards I have seen say they are 125 channel. I have digital cable, and it has over 200 channels. If the signal was sent to the TV tuner card from my digital cable converter box would that allow the higher channels to be seen?

Thanks

morlium

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2002
Yes. I have the same thing, going through EyeTV.

However, you will have to keep the TV tuner on channel 3, and change the channel through the box. That gets to be a bit of a nuisance, unless your box is within eyeshot of the computer.

Therefore, I have the signal split both before and after the box, with an A/B switch on the EyeTV recorder. Therefore, unless I'm watching a movie, I can still switch channels through regular cable without having to make the trek all the way over to the digital box.

It's really just laziness ... but after all, it is the necessity of invention ...

morlium

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2002
EyeTV used to slow down my system a hell of a lot more, but since they added a RAM buffer in the live TV window, there is little or no lag.

You can allot up to 768MB RAM (i use 384, and its fine), which makes a huge difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.