Dual Monitor Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by GetGo, Jan 3, 2004.

1. GetGo macrumors regular

If I buy an ibook or a PowerBook can I connect my LCD monitor to create a dual monitor setup. I currently have this with my PC and I love it. I know I would use the laptop in other rooms and on trips, but just in case I feel like working with it at my home desk I would like to have the dual monitor setup.

2. vniow macrumors G4

Re: Dual Monitor Question

Yes on both models. Powerbooks support it natively, iBooks require an Applescript hack which works fine on mine.

3. skymac macrumors member

The 15" and 17" POwer Books both hav DVI out ports so you can connect it with an external Digital monitor directly. the 12" has a mini DVI port so you would need an adaptor for it.
    The iBooks however only have min VGA out so i'm not sure how well that would work, you'd need some form of adaptor but i dont know what youd need or if it works for the ibooks. Also the ibooks only alow for mirroring, there is however a hack out there somewere to allow it to span but i dont know what the whole VGA to DVI thing is.

4. GetGo thread starter macrumors regular

5. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

If you want to connect a digital LCD, which is really the way to do it, you'll need a PowerBook. As skymac said, the 15" and 17" have built in DVI. The 12" has the mini-DVI port, and comes with a full size DVI adaptor, so you don't need to buy anything extra.