Dual Monitor Setup for Intel IMac

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by alexwoolley, Jul 15, 2006.

1. alexwoolley macrumors newbie

Hey guys, first post...so hello! But now down to business ;)

Ive got one of the new IMacs, and ive just been given a CRT monitor, and i was wondering how I may go about connecting them both together in order to have a stretch screen (being able to simply drag between both screens). Any help would be great, cheers!

Alex.

2. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

You need a mini-dvi to vga adapter (assuming you have a vga connector on the end of that cable). You can get one from Apple.

3. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

In the "Displays" section of System Preferences, you should be able to dictate your dual monitor setup in the "Arrangement" panel.... :)

4. alexwoolley thread starter macrumors newbie

damn you guys are quick! I like it here. Cheers for the help guys, think ill swing by the Apple store on monday and grab myself one.

Alex

Ps. More a curiousity thing than anything else, but is it possible to connect more than 2 screens together?

5. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Not with the iMac, you'd probably need another video card, something that is not an option on the iMac's.

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Welcome to MacRumors alexwoolley! :)

Yep, that is all that you need. :)

7. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

Hundreds of people have aksed whether this is possible on a MacBook Pro or iMac. I have answered them yes. I used to have a link to an adapter, but I lost it. It transformed one DVI port into two. I would only recommend doing this on the MacBook Pro though, since it has a Duallink DVI connector, and therefore is capable of running external displays at up to 3840x2400, or two 23" ACD's, which are both 1920x1200. The iMac only has a Singlelink DVI connector, and can run external displays at up to 1920x1200. This means, you would have to run two external monitors at 960x600, or as it is possible; 800x600, which is very low resoltuion and would s*ck hard. So, yes you can, but don't do it with an iMac, MacBook or MacMini. Only a MacBook Pro.:D