Dual monitor solution

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by vodouman, Aug 1, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

Hi guys,

I was wondering how dual screen is supported in Lion. If I were running Xcode fullscreen on my iMac 27" would it be possible to have Safari full screen on the other one at the same time?

- Vodouman

2. macrumors 68000

tersono

You can only run one instance of full screen - and that has to be your primary monitor.

For instance, I'm typing this in a fullscreen instance of Chrome on my iMac's built-in 27" screen whilst mail is open and visible in normal mode on my secondary 18" Dell screen. If I try to make mail fullscreen, it takes over the primary screen on my iMac.

3. macrumors regular

Nope, the second screen will just display a linen pattern.

4. thread starter macrumors regular

Wow.... That sucks... So 2 monitors doesn't seem very useful in Lion to me.

Cheers guys.

- Vodouman

5. macrumors 65816

Partron22

Nah, it's full screen that isn't very useful for those of us with two monitors. I lived without full screen before Lion, and I can do it now, at least until Apple fixes its display problems.

6. WSR
    macrumors regular

Actually it's just not useful in Lion. In Snow Leopard, you can easily have an app in full-screen mode on each monitor.

7. macrumors 65816

fitshaced

I think its worth pointing out that a program like Plex runs in fullscreen (but not by Lion standards) and allows you to run other apps on the second screen. It pretty much stays in the desktop. Lion full screen apps are essentially getting their own desktop.