Dual Monitors and KVMs

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by davecuse, Aug 24, 2004.

1. davecuse macrumors 6502

davecuse

I have a 17" Apple Studio Display, a 17" G4 PowerBook, and a Linux box with a ATI Radeon 9000 DVI card. I would like to use the Studio Display for both my Linux both and as a secondary monitor for my PowerBook.

If I hook up a KVM would it cause my PowerBook to go into a display change mode when I switch the Studio Display over to my Linux box? Hopefully someone has tried this, I found a really good deal on a DVI based KVM and cables on eBay. Is it going to work the way I want it to?

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

OS X can adapt to displays at any time using the "Detect Displays" option, so this should be no problem at all.

3. davecuse thread starter macrumors 6502

davecuse

When I unplug the studio display from my PowerBook it flashes for a few seconds, and anything that i had on the second desktop gets pushed over to the primary. I'm hoping that this doesn't happen when I press the button on the KVM.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I do something similar with my PowerBook and desktop TFT at home. The KVM "fools" all the computers attached into thinking that the screen (and keyboard and mouse) are still there. Note if you are trying to use your full desktop keyboard and mouse I would recommend a KVM with native USB support. I found that those dual PS/2 USB adaptors don't work well with Mac OSX.

5. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

more expensive KVMs fool computers to thinking that a monitor is still attached even when the KVM is set to use a different computer. I have a crappy KVM that I got for $10 to change between my PC and Mac which works just fine for me... only problem is that it has to be on the computer that is starting up for the entire startup process because it doesn't have the emulation thing to fool the computer.

6. davecuse thread starter macrumors 6502

davecuse

I'm looking at a Belkin 2 port omniview KVM USB, so it looks like it's going to work out well for me! Always good to hear.

7. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

I just bought the IOGear USB KVM switch and it works very well and I think it was less expensive than the Belkin one. The only problem I had was that it wouldn't recognize the old style G4 Keyboard. That is, it would type and everything, but I couldn't make it switch (missing Scroll Lock key). But the PC USB keyboard I bought is working fine.

Found and bought through Amazon if your interested.

8. sparky672 macrumors regular

I got the IOGear too-

You can change the Scroll Lock thing really easy. Go into Hot mode by holding the "clear" key and hitting the "minus" key. Then hit a "T". Now yo ucan switch computers by hitting Control-Control.

My problem with this is weird. It switches and emulates fine but when I boot from dead cold... it switches the monitor into 640 x 480 mode. This is crap. I can't get the mode back to my 1600 x 1200 until I do a restart, then it's fine.

This is the same when you're using either OS 9.2.2 or OS X.2.8. So if my computer is turned off, I have to do a boot then a restart to get my resolution.

Everyone with Mac raves about the USB KVM by IOGear. I think it's better than the Belkin but what the heck is going on with this resolution thing. IOGear shut it's doors at sometime before 2:30 PM PST today (Friday) so I can't ask them until Monday.

I have a G3 and a PC with a 21" Compaq CRT. The PC is not being used and it's just a placeholder for the G4 that's coming.

I know you can use USB KVMs with two Macs. I just wish I could find out the right one before I have to buy a third!!

Thank-you.