Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marekkurlmann

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2007
I've been experiencing a really weird bug since shortly after upgrading to El Capitan. I'm running a dual-monitor setup: Primary monitor is a 2008-vintage Dell LCD; secondary monitor is the screen of my late-2013 Retina MacBook Pro.

When I run iTunes on the MacBook's screen, typing a search query into iTunes' search box will crash iTunes 9 times out of 10. When typing a query into the search, a white box will usually display over where the search results should be. The attached screenshot illustrates what this looks like.

Hitting enter––i.e., performing the search––will crash iTunes 100 percent of the time.

I'm running iTunes 12.3.1.23 and OS X 10.11.1 on a late 2013 Retina MacBook Pro.

It's important to note that the crash only happens with the configuration described above: When I'm running two monitors and when iTunes is on the secondary monitor. iTunes will NOT crash if:

- I'm running only one monitor
- I'm running two monitors and iTunes is running on the primary display
- I make the MacBook Pro the primary display

Apple support escalated me to a "senior advisor" (whatever that means) after disk verification/repair, OS reinstallation and iTunes reinstallation failed to remedy the problem. The only thing they advised me to do now is wipe my machine and restore from a backup. That doesn't sound fun.

Has anyone seen this before? Or have any guess what may be at work?

Attachments

• Screen-Shot-2015-11-25-at-12.39.51-AM.jpg
    Screen-Shot-2015-11-25-at-12.39.51-AM.jpg
    477.8 KB · Views: 25
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.