Dual Monitors on a mini

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Choctaw, Mar 24, 2011.

1. macrumors demi-god

Choctaw

Can you use two monitors on a mac mini?
    Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

Yep, it has two video outputs (MDP and HDMI).

from http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html

3. macrumors 6502

Yes, I currently utilize such a setup for one of my systems and it is very nice.

Cheers

4. thread starter macrumors demi-god

Choctaw

Mac4Science & simsaladimbamba........thank you for your response.
    Choctaw

5. MTI
    macrumors 65816

I'm presuming that the OP was referring to the current model (2010) only.

6. simsaladimbamba

And?

7. macrumors member

Both the 2009 and 2010 Mac Minis support two displays. The 2009 Mini has a Mini-DVI and Mini-DisplayPort, and the 2010 Mini has Mini-DisplayPort and HDMI.

I've ran my 2009 Mac Mini with two displays for over a year and with three via a USB-Video adapter for the last four months. No problems - Works great. In both cases, you just have to have the right combination of DVI/HDMI adapters to support your monitors.

8. macrumors 65816

MultiFinder17

9. macrumors 65816

OceanView

For those that are using both displays, do you notice any lag or heat issues?

10. macrumors member

None at all.

11. macrumors 65816

dolphin842

No lag, no heat, but the GUI (minimizing windows, invoking Expose, etc.) often runs at a lower framerate. Nothing that impacts productivity, just a nitpicky thing.

12. macrumors 6502

Hi,
    I'm using 2 big monitors - no problems with it:

Attached Files:

13. macrumors 6502

14. macrumors 6502

My early 2009 Mac Mini with 2 20" Cinema Displays:

[​IMG]

Works fine. :)

15. macrumors member

[​IMG]

Third display runs off USB-Video, so it's not great for video and other similar applications - Works great for office apps which is what I use most of the time on it.

16. macrumors newbie

Please Post Wiring Information

Will everyone who just posted their beautiful monitor set up please follow up with what wiring components you used specifically? There is a lot of debate over the best types, and I'm trying to determine that now. Thank you.

17. macrumors regular

i have had 2 23inch monitors set up. I via HDMI -> HDMI, another via MDP-HDMI Adapter -> HDMI.

The mdp-hdmi adapter screen has flickering issues. So i would suggest not using a mdp-hdmi adapter. Rather get a monitor with DP input

18. macrumors 68030

fhall1

I'm running two 23" also....using the included HDMI to DVI for one and a mini-displayport to DVI for the other.

19. macrumors 68020

I have two 20" Apple Displays, which are both DVI. I used the HDMI > DVI adaptor that comes in the box with the mini, and I bought the Apple MiniDisplayPort > DVI adaptor for the Thunderbolt port.

Works brilliantly. No effort or lag in driving two monitors, even though we all know that the Intel 4000 is made of cheese and string, can't even draw with crayons on a stamp, and will crumble to dust at the mention of the word 3D.

20. macrumors newbie

Unfortunately OSX's implementation of multiple monitors isn't as intuitive as Microsoft Window's implementation. So if you are used to multiple monitor usage in Windows, you will be disappointed.

21. macrumors 68030

I've worked with multiple monitors for years, first on Windows, now on Mac. You plug them in, they work, subject, of course, to the limitations of ports and display adaptor. I don't see one system's implementation as more intuitive than the others.

22. macrumors 65816

MultiFinder17

Mine are both hooked in via DVI. The Cinema Display uses an Apple MiniDP->DVI adapter and the cable built into the display, while the Dell uses a Monoprice MiniDVI->DVI adapter with a Monoprice DVI cable. They both have been working wonderfully for several years now.

23. macrumors regular

When I use a dual monitor setup, I like to work with identical monitors side by side. It looks like 1920-by-1200 or under is the screen resolution to look for. Then you will need at least 1 adapter, depending on the connection type.

For this type of identical paired setup, what is a popular monitor choice?

24. macrumors 6502

JoshMKB24

Quick question for those of you running dual setups. I've heard that when running dual setups on all Apple computers if you try to full screen watch a movie on 1 the other screen goes black and there isn't any way around this? True or not true?

25. macrumors 65816

OceanView

You mean back to normal size?
    Yes that is true when I run dual monitor setup on my MBP.
    Not sure on the Mini but I would like to know as well.