Dual Monitors with Mac & PC

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by 777si777, Apr 1, 2005.

1. 777si777 macrumors newbie

Hello folks!
    I need some advice. I have two PCs and one Mac sat here at my desk. I also have two monitors (one Mac Apple display and one CTX flat screen) in which I need to use as dual monitors.

I have been able to set up the dual monitors on the Mac but not with the PCs as yet. Am I correct in thinking that I will need a VGA to DVI connection in order for the Apple display to work with the PCs? If so where do I get one? :)

If you have any other suggestions in what to do then please shed some light! Thanks folks!

Si

2. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

If your screen is the Apple Cinema HD Display like this one then it will have an ADC connector.

If your display is the newer aluminum Apple Cinema Display then it will have a DVI connector on the end.

So depending on which display you own, depends on the adaptor required.

Apple or a mac dealer should be able to supply them, perhaps someone will recommend a dealer or a website, if you post where you are.

3. 777si777 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I am in the uk by the way.
    That would be helpful if someone could point me to a place where I could get one. The screen is like the first one you describe

4. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

You can find DVI to ADC adapter in the Apple Store. It's yours for.. uhm.. £69.00....

Direct link

(If the link doesn't work, just go to the Apple Store and you'll find it under "Mac accessories" and "Cables & Hubs")

Maybe you find a cheaper version somewhere else, but I haven't found one (not that I've looked very hard).

5. simie macrumors 6502a

simie

Here is the VGAtor made by DR Bott.

VGAtor was created to allow the original 12" PowerBook to drive Apple's ADC displays. This will work with any graphics card that outputs through a VGA socket.

The downside is the cost.
    http://www.ghc.co.uk/acatalog/Index_ADC__DVI___VGA_Cables_280.html

£222.08*Including VAT at 17.5% from Gordon Harwood Computers

I would recommend that you purchase a new graphics card for the pc that supports DVI and then purchase a DVI to ADC adaptor.

£75.20*Including VAT at 17.5% (same web-page) from Gordon Harwood Computers
    or £69.00 from the Apple Store

The graphics card could be something like this GeCube ATi Radeon 9550 128MB Extreme £64.95 from

Gladiator Computers

It comes with :- Specs here

1 x Combo cable for A/V and S-Video output.
    1 x DVI to VGA adapter
    ATI CD Driver for Radeon 9550
    Multi-language Installation Manual
    Power DVD 5.0
    Full version Counter Strike Zero Condition Game CD Bundled