dual monitors

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zane, Sep 16, 2006.

1. zane macrumors 6502

I have been thinking about getting a second monitor for my iMac but im still not sure how dual monitors work would it just enlarge my computer screen so that the 2 monitors act as 1 screen or would they act as 2 seperate computers so i would have to press a button to use the external monitor im really in the dark can any of you guys enlighten me on the subject.

thanks for the advice

2. topgun072003 macrumors 6502

topgun072003

I've never done it on an imac, but dual monitors can either work like one big screen or one screen being mirrored by the other. Meaning that the same thing would be on 2 screens.

3. zane thread starter macrumors 6502

well if it worked as 1 big screen how would the second monitor know which side of the original monitor it is on

4. topgun072003 macrumors 6502

topgun072003

It wouldn't matter. You can flip that in your system preferences under "displays." If you plug them in and they are reversed, just go to displays under system preferences and switch them. I believe it will have a picture of both monitors and you literally click and drag one over. Then your problem is solved. You can flip them back and forth. So that isn't a problem.

5. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

Yup it's dead easy, assuming you have the hardware to run dual displays the set up takes less than 2 mins, select your arrangement, and your resolutions for each display... actually maybe it's closer to 20 seconds.

6. Boxer macrumors regular

I just got my Dell 2007. I understand how to choose which monitor to use. Is there a way to be able to shut the Macbook Pro lid and still be able to operate the main Dell Display????

7. uaaerospace macrumors 6502

Could this help? Apple Help

8. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

you need some software, such as sleepless. be careful with this for too long, though, because of the heat.

9. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

you don't need that for a MBP
    see the link posted above - you just need an external keyboard and mouse. Plug the monitor in (with the notebook closed and power connected) and you're set

10. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

the display spans across both displays as if they are connected. The displays may be joined at the top, bottom or sides. (this is set up in the monitor system preferences) For example if the displays is connected on the right side of your iMac when you mouse to the right side your cursor will pass off the iMac screen and appear on the second display. You can even make the second display show the menu bar.