Dual NEC monitors

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Mac Kiwi, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Mac Kiwi macrumors 6502a

Hi

I have a G5 dual 2ghz and 2 x NEC 1980 SX LCDs.One I have hooked up using the DVI cable supplied {NEC} to the first LCD,the second my Apple supplier got me an ADC to DVI adaptor,but on my second monitor NEC {in the manual} it says use the D SUB cable to an ADC adaptor if you are using an analog port.I contacted my shop again and they {imported my monitors from a different source then the shop} suggested using the other DV I cable to the ADC connector anyway that they supplied to me.

Is what I really need an ADC to VGA adaptor for the D SUB cable?{info I found},or would using another DVI cable be alright?

Sorry my shop has confused the hell out of me with reccomendations that could see me with a dead second monitor,and I know you guys know lots about this issue.

Thanks

Stu.

2. Muskie macrumors 6502

Muskie

ADC-DVI

I'm by far no expert, but I think the ADC-DVI adapter should work just fine. My G4 came with that adapter, so I would assume they are compatible with a wide range of monitor models. I don't want to be responsible for your monitor dying, however. I would wait to see what some other people say.

Good Luck

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The important part here seems to be "if you are using an analoge port". You are not so you can use DVI.

4. Mac Kiwi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys :)

Here the reply to my question from an NEC tech I contacted.

Stuart,

Thank you for contacting NEC/Mitsubishi. The answer to your question is yes, you can use a DVI cable. While DVI is supposed to stand for Digital Video Interface, there are actually three versions of DVI, DVI-A (analog only<---oxymoron), DVI-I (analog and digital), and DVI-D (digital only).

The 1980SX has two inputs, one D-Sub and one DVI. The DVI input on your monitor can support either an analog or digital signal, and there is even an option in the on screen manager to let this detect automatically based on the cable type, or if necessary, you can specify digital or analog.

In your situation the best option you can select is a DVI-I, single link cable. Dual-link cables are known to cause problems at times, so make sure to get single link. By using a DVI-I cable, you have given yourself a cable connection supporting both the analog and digital connectors.

If you have any further questions, please let us know.