Dual PowerMac G4 or 12" PowerBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by yuin, Nov 3, 2003.

1. yuin macrumors newbie

Aug 30, 2003
    I have $1800 to spend on my first Mac. I need to know what you would have, a Dual 1.25 GHZ PowerMac G4 or a 12" PowerBook (Rev B).

768 MB RAM
    60 GB Hard Drive

1.256 GB RAM
    80 GB Hard Drive

I am buying memory from Crucial for the machine, as it is cheaper. I'm also buying through a teacher for the EDU discount. I am going to Florida for Xmas and would like to take it with me, so the PowerBook is nice in that field. The PowerMac would probably last longer performance wise, right? I could take the PowerMac with me, yet it ways 42 pounds. Saturday is a benefit fish fry for a friend who is 13 with cancer, and I came up with a good idea of having him use a webcam at his house and have my digital video cam at the fish fry, where people can talk to him and see him through the computer. A small computer would be nice there, too. But I would mostly use the computer at home, so I would like having something I wouldn't have to chunk because it's too slow after a few years. I want it to run the latest programs with out being bogged down. So, performance vs. portability is the question. Thanks for taking time to read this. :) Please respond.
  2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    The powermac will be at least twice as fast for running multiple apps... but if you only run one app or two apps at once (like mail and safari, maybe itunes) then the PowerBook will be fine. If you want to do video editing and games, then the PowerMac will be the only way to go.

Remember that a PowerBook is very limited with expansion so if you want it to last for a very long time, get the PowerMac.
  3. jamesatzones macrumors regular

Aug 29, 2003
    Unless you are on the road all day long I would go with the PowerMac. More RAM, More Storage, PCI Slots, higher end graphics... PowerBooks are great for the road warrior but you need to ask yourself how much you will be using it out and about...
  4. yuin thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 30, 2003
    eh... thanks. I think any Mac is great. 60 bucks more doesn't matter. I would rather it last longer than buying a new $1800 machine sooner. :p ;)
  5. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    Funny, I was kinda in the same boat. In July, I purchased a Dual 1.25 G4. I was very happy with it, but over the last few weeks, I really wanted a laptop. So, a few days ago, I sold the G4. Just put in my order for the 12" PowerBook. I know it won't be as fast, but its still a damn good machine, plus I've still got the 21" monitor I used with the Power Mac to hook up to the PowerBook.

Either machine you go with, you'll be happy. But, mobility is always a plus. Even if you think you don't need mobility, once you have it, I'm sure you'll wonder how you did without it. At least I'm sure thats how I'll feel when my PB arrives :p.
  6. yuin thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 30, 2003
    thanks... I'm really in a jam about which one to get.
  7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    This question is asked frequently, and there is a simple answer.

Do you need to be portable?
    Yes - Get the laptop.
    No - Get the desktop.

IMO, it is as simple as that. There is no point to a laptop, other than the fact it is portable. Other than that, when compared to a desktop, they are under powered and over priced.
  8. yuin thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 30, 2003
    yes yes yes... I would like portablity, but don't need it that much.
  9. switchingGeek macrumors member

Oct 11, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Hmm.. Since you are still confused...

Questions for yourself
    1) Where do you plan to primarily use the system?
    2) What do you plan to use it for? Video editing, coding, documentation, browsing etc?
    3) How often would you need to use a comp outside of your home/office ? Weekly, monthly?
    4) Do you have any other system you can use at home/office?
    5) Where are your applications? In your office? or in your computer? i.e., remote, or local?

Answer these, and you should have your decision. Also, although this may not be the place, depending on your applications, an Athlon might be suitable for you, if you need it for heavy duty number crunching etc. Yes, yes, the G5 rocks, but not in your budget it doesn't.
  10. yuin thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 30, 2003
    1. Home
    2. Some coding, mostly browsing and documenting, some Photoshop Elements, and maybe a little video editing.
    3. Not that often
    4. Yes, yet no Macs.
    5. At home on a PC, I won't need many apps as I will probably be using both Mac and PC for a while.

I have no Macintosh at home or the office, and would like to use it at both places. I guess I'll go for the PowerBook until I think of something else about that PowerMac. :p Thanks.
  11. Fahd macrumors regular

Oct 26, 2003
    Based on your responses above, I would suggest the PowerMac as you dont seem to be mobile that much.

However, since you have a PC at home and can use that, it may make sense to get the PowerBook.

No sense in having two desktops at the same place right? Regardless of the system architecture, especially now since you can use programs like Virtual PC or maybe even an external hard disk to port your data across anytime you need to.

If I was in your place I would take the powerbook!

Good luck!
  12. evil macrumors 6502

May 2, 2003
    chicago ex-toronto
    just a consideration...could you afford an ibook and an emac/imac?

seriously though...if you dont reallllllyyyyy need the portability and you just want one machine get the powermac. it will last longer.
    i can understand your situation. i originally bought my 12 Powerbook, which i love, and just today i recieved my superdrive emac which i bought for real cheap with my edu discount.