Dual processor compatibility

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by hunterofmacs, Sep 15, 2003.

1. hunterofmacs macrumors newbie

Sep 8, 2003
    Ok I have yet another newbie to the Mac world question.

If I do get a dual G4 I was told that all software was NOT dual processor compatible. Such as certain games.

Is this true?
    If so how wide spread?
    Also how can I tell if software is dual processor compatible?

I need to be able to run games on the computer – not a huge gamer but I do use it instead of TV
  2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I think you mean "dual proc aware" not "dual proc compatible." If software is not dual proc aware that just means it will only use 1 proc so you won't get a performance boost from having a 2nd proc.

3. MacBandit macrumors 604

Aug 9, 2002
    Springfield, OR (Home of the Simpsons)
    It's really not an issue. Yes, the program could potentially get a performance boost from using both processors but I wouldn't worry about it. Just think about the fact that why you are running the one app on one processor you can fully utilize the other processor for what have you another app or anything else. The beauty of a dual processor system is not in the ability to run one program faster it's in the ability to run more then one process simultaneously on separate processors as if you had two computers in one box.