Dual Processor Macs and Folding

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by frankzeg, Oct 7, 2003.

1. frankzeg macrumors member

I have started this folding thing and am now truly addicted. But over the past week I have noticed that based on CPU monitor both my DP450 G4 and my DP2G G5 show that the processors are just sort of loafing along- maybe 50% utilization. The fans never really kick up on my G5. Meanwhile my poor 350MTi powerbook is showing that it is floored- nearly 100% CPU usage. Did I miss something special to do during the installation? It really looks like the fact that there are dual processors is being ignored by the folding software- but perhaps this is an illusion.
    I am running folding in screen saver mode. I tried running the graphical client but it appeared to erase all the work of the previous screensaver. The G4 lost about a week of work. Which was sad- it takes it nearly 50 minutes to complete a frame! IN fact it appeared that they were alternately erasing whatever work the other was completing- the work completed never got above a few percent. I am sure this too is a result of some error of mine. I cannot find a clear answer about running both the screensaver and graphical client- are they compatible with running at the same time? Do they compliment or compete with each other? As an interesting note while they both were running the CPUs were running at 100% - though they never accomplished anything.

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

If you really want to get the most of dual processor machines, you need to run the console client with the -local flag so that each processor has access to its own set of data.

You can only run one graphical client at a time. Running the screensaver is cute but doesn't really provide much folding power.

You might want to read the FAQ thread, which was put into this forum for everyone's information.

3. frankzeg thread starter macrumors member

The FAQ's were the place I started but there seemed to be some dead links. I was not aware that the console was faster than the screensaver or graphical client- thanks. BTW does the folder which holds F@H need to be in the "Home" directory or can in just live on the disk root. The reason is that if there are more than one user the F@H will work on yet another set of data. This is not helpful for actually completing somthing. Also when I start the console up is it a foregone conclusion that any progress made with the screensaver will be lost or can it simply pick up the same files and run on those? Given that the G4 takes 50 minutes a frame and is at something like 15% complete it would be good not to lose all that.

4. frankzeg thread starter macrumors member

Well the console is loaded- but of course it is doing essentially the same as the screensaver- to within a second or so per frame. As for running multiple F@H's - I give up and need the secret decoder ring ( ie some step by step instructions that make sense to someone not a computer fanatic). The instructions on the download site are cryptic in the extreme and do not seem to reflect even vaguely the files that came over. There were no executable or cfg files that were not already there- of course in the "home" directory. No questions ever were asked for configuration- despite this being in the instructions. How do you even use all those nifty commands?
    help!

5. meeble macrumors member

hey, all you need is to install mc68k's dual cpu setup script for G4s. and i assume that it will work as well for G5s ?

If you can't find it online, I will email it to you...

6. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Read more about it here:
    The Site Changed, it is now here