Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 9, 2002
it seems to me that the powerbook isn't very fast for how much it costs... and especially if the tibook is no more they could implement dual processor. I also dont believe this has ever been done before so apple my try to be innovative again and go dual with laptops... any comments about how possible you think this is?

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Re: Dual Processor PowerBooks?

Originally posted by Chaszmyr
it seems to me that the powerbook isn't very fast for how much it costs... and especially if the tibook is no more they could implement dual processor. I also dont believe this has ever been done before so apple my try to be innovative again and go dual with laptops... any comments about how possible you think this is?

I'm sure apple would love to, but they don't want to put in dual processors if it makes it too hot to pick up (not to mention cool efficently), as well as maintain a reasonable battery life (if you have to add another fan, thats goign to take up more power as well). frankly, i think it would take a fairly large redesign of the enclosure to do it, and coming up with som really innovative cooling. I'm sure they are working on lots of stuff, but for the meantime, I'd say its just nto going to happen anytime soon.

I do, however, expect a pretty good speed bump.

Is the Ti book expensive. I suppose it is, but you aren't just paying for speed. You're paying for a nice wide screen, optical drives, decent sized hard drive, and a desktop equaling processor (not just a scaled down version with the same name), all in a super thin case. Thin and that full featured costs money. They could probably make it cheaper simply by making the case larger, but thats not really the way they want to go.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 9, 2002
But without going dual what kind of speed bump could they give the powerbook? 1ghz would only be 200mhz increase, but it wuold be the same frequency as the currently shipping powermacs.. making the powermacs look bad

Gaz

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2002
London, UK
What do you need the huge speed increase for?? Games?? If so buy a Play Station or an Xbox.

I've a 500 Mhz TiBook and it runs Jaguar fine. Could be quicker but I would have though an 800 would be perfect. It appears everyones obsessed with speed. I know it's very important to have progress but it would seem people take things to extremes. I know people who are buying PCs and they ask will a 2Ghz machine be fast enough for using Word? It's all just overkill.

The best thing to improve the performance of the TiBook would be a better graphics card! So many programs are graphic intensive (just look at OS X). Anyhey, I'm not a scientist or trying to render a fully animated film like many of you and so don't need dual processing!

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
But without going dual what kind of speed bump could they give the powerbook? 1ghz would only be 200mhz increase, but it wuold be the same frequency as the currently shipping powermacs.. making the powermacs look bad

thats a 25% increase, which is pretty good, and if they add in some other things, it will help as well. I'm not saying duals is a bad idea, I'm just saying there are a lot of hurdles in the way of such a thing happening any time soon.

And of course, one must also take into account that notebooks are always less powerful than desktop machine equivelents. its true in the wintel world, its true in the mac world.

maybe I'll be surprised and apple will come up out with some big innovations making it possible, but I personally just don't see it.

vixapphire

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Los Angeles
the uses of speed...

Originally posted by Gaz
What do you need the huge speed increase for?? Games?? If so buy a Play Station or an Xbox.

I've a 500 Mhz TiBook and it runs Jaguar fine. Could be quicker but I would have though an 800 would be perfect. It appears everyones obsessed with speed. I know it's very important to have progress but it would seem people take things to extremes. I know people who are buying PCs and they ask will a 2Ghz machine be fast enough for using Word? It's all just overkill.

Dude,
Congrats on your 500Mhz powerbook, for which I envy you. However, for those of us who don't use a computer solely for wordprocessing, surfing the web, and other less-processor-intensive activities, speed is everything. The difference between 800MHz and 1GHz (or 1.25, which is unlikely) is vast in terms of the number of plug-ins available in audio recording applications like Logic, etc. I'm waiting for Apple to cross the 1GHz barrier in a G4 laptop (and I don't care whether it's an ibook or Tibook anymore, just give me the product!) so I can upgrade my dinosauric but beautiful 450 G3 blue and white powermac (matching 17" monitor, matching bondi 8x QPS cd-r, matching superdrive, matching bondi halogen desklamps from ikea, the whole frickin' deal, hoss...).

So, in other words, "overkill, my arse." Bring on the speed already, apple. duals in a laptop would be great, but won't happen because it will either or both: 1) cannibalize apple's powermac market; and 2) require a bulkier chassis for the powerbook. in light of the fact that apple's only true competitor is Sony's vaio line of sleek and stylish wintel boxes, it would be a surprise if apple ceded the sex factor to Sony by moving away from the TiBook's slickness and slim size. I would expect future versions of the Powerbook to be slim and stylish, not bigger and bulkier. certainly not for the purpose of cannibalizing other, profitable product lines.

But I don't have a crystal ball, either... :)

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Heres an idea

A possible solution...

Apple diverges in the laptop market. :eek:

one line for nice and portable (12" screen like the iBook), one line thats sexy and thin (current powerbook), and one for power, power users that demand the unthinkable portable duals and superdrive, no matter how thick the computer becomes. Heck, throw in a 17" screen for good times sake :p. But make it durable like the Pismos...

Will this happen? PROBABLY NOT.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Re: Dual Processor PowerBooks?

Not very likely at all. At least not until you have processor chips that are dual core.
This is due to heat issues and space issues within something small like a notebook.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
then how about next year?

perhaps, apple is not there yet, but since the topic comes up so much like the lcd imac concept did, it will become an eventual reality

...but by the time it does come around, i don't think many people will really care that much since there will most likely be a g5 powermac, dual, running well beyond 1.5 ghz, with a 4 GB RAM capacity

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.