Dual Proxy Settings - School & Home - Is it possible?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by danielbriggs, Nov 30, 2006.

1. danielbriggs macrumors 6502

Jun 13, 2006
    Manchester, UK

I'm trying to set up a dual proxy thing, with both my school's proxy details, and my own home settings. I.e. no proxy.

As it just timesout, unless I go into settings and uncheck the web proxy tickbox

So does anyone know how to setup Mac OS X 10.4 with a kind of alernate configurations, i.e. so when I'm on wireless or wired at school it works, and then without changing anything, plug it in at home, and it just works.

I've only had my Mac 2 days, it's great!
    Got the 17" MacBook Pro C2D!!

Dan :)

Edit: So for example: Wireless: School Proxy: 10.15.250.xxx with a bypass of 10.*
    Home: No proxy, all DHCP defaults that it grabs from the router.

Wired: Exactly the same, 10.15.250.xxx bypass of 10.*, and no settings for home user.

2. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Feb 23, 2006
    Ok, go into System Preferences -> Network

Now look at the top bar, named "LOCATION"

Create two profiles and fill in the information.

For example, I have to use a proxy when I'm on campus that requires login. I created a location profile for Temple with all of the proxy information filled out and the user id and password.

For home use, I use another profile that has no proxy.
  3. danielbriggs thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 13, 2006
    Manchester, UK

I never thought of that, and it was staring me right in the face.
    You're a star!

BTW: What is the easiest way to swap between the two profiles?
    "Automatic" - Home settings, and "School" - With the proxies in??

Could you set it up so if it get a say, 10.15 IP it will go to one profile, or if it get's a 125.125 IP it will go to another???

Dan :)
  4. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

Feb 23, 2006
    Best was is click the blue apple in the top left, scroll down to locations, and pick the profile. It'll apply the profile instantly.

You can specify areas of the web that can be excluded from the proxy.

For instance, Temple doesn't require you to use the proxy to access the www.temple.edu domain and web services. So my exclusions are localhost and temple.edu domains

Those IPs that you gave are invalid. IP addresses don't work that way. You can be on one network and on another network and they can be completely different.

It would be an interesting project, to create an auto-detecting network configuration app.... hmmmmmmmm
  5. danielbriggs thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 13, 2006
    Manchester, UK

That's where it is!
    Thanks again.

I know OS X is capable of things that I want it to such (such as dual proxies etc.), but I just not found the settings!! Luckily you helped me out.

It's my first Mac, and I think it's great!
    Can't Wait for Leopard...