Dual Screen AirPlay Gaming Demo with Real Racing 2 HD

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 17, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Engadget has a hands on with Firemint's Real Racing 2 HD with support for Apple's AirPlay mirroring feature coming in iOS 5. While you can mirror anything on the iPad's screen to your Apple TV, some game developers have been building in support to provide a different interface on the device itself vs. the screen. This is similar feature to what Nintendo's new Wii U console offers.
    This ability to display different images on the device and the video out isn't actually new with iOS 5. Several iOS games such as Max Adventure and Chopper 2 offer a similar experience under iOS 4. But without AirPlay mirroring feature, users have needed a $29 VGA adapter to take advantage of this feature. In iOS 5, AirPlay mirror also offers this ability to those with Apple TVs.

http://www.viddler.com/explore/engadget/videos/2890/

iOS 5 is in developer beta at the moment, and will be released to the public this fall.

Article Link: Dual Screen AirPlay Gaming Demo with Real Racing 2 HD

2. macrumors 603

ChazUK

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/534.32 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Very clever use of the whole platform.

3. macrumors newbie

WHO need a WII U ?!?!?!?!!?

:D:D:D:D:D:D

:apple: rules

4. macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Wow...!

Real Racing HD 2 is THE leading game when it comes to use of the iPad 2's capabilities. :cool:

5. macrumors 65816

fabian9

wow, this is amazing!

6. macrumors 601

Icaras

If I weren't such a big fan of Nintendo franchices, I would wholly support that comment :p

7. macrumors G5

Consultant

I love playing racing games on iPad. Hopefullly it comes to other ones that are more fast paced.

Weiner's new slogan:

Weiner euuuuuuu

8. macrumors 65816

WiiDSmoker

Let me know how that works out for with ZERO tactile feedback. You cannot use an iPad or an Iphone as a controller without directly looking at it.*

Except where the iPad/iPhone is only used for accellerometer and gyroscopes.

9. macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

That's an ugly room/set-up (although not as bad as the Princess Leia room that was featured here several days ago).
    :eek:

10. macrumors regular

Newfiebill

Stoked!

I think I just peed myself. Freaking AWSOME!
    It might just be worth paying the $100.00 :apple: developer fee.:rolleyes:

11. macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm thinking a "noticeable lag between the iPad and Apple TV when using AirPlay" is exactly what I want in a high speed racing game as I'm approaching turn 4.

12. macrumors 65816

Got to think that will be tightened up.

13. macrumors regular

FriarNurgle

AWESOME!!!

Now make it work for all iOS devices and Macs.

14. macrumors G5

nagromme

While this will never be the primary way to play games on an iPad, it is very cool!

Kind of like the AppleTV is a console... only with all the brains and storage being in the wireless controller. Neat!

I’d certainly be tempted to spend the extra $70 on an AppleTV instead of a video adapter, if/when I want that ability for my iPad.

15. macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

The Incident has two different images on the wirelessly controlling iPhone and on the controlled iPad, in perfect sync, although via Bluetooth. So only the AirPlay part is new, and neat at that.

16. macrumors 68000

Apple should create some background API for either an AdHoc network or bluetooth to reduce lag.

17. macrumors 68000

RawBert

Bad-ass! :cool:

18. macrumors 6502a

You can also use HDMI adapter instead of VGA.

19. macrumors 68030

baryon

Why can't the iPad mirror to a Mac? Or even a PC? I mean, everyone has a computer. Almost no one has an Apple TV.

20. macrumors 604

iJon

In case you guys are wondering these features are already built into Real Racing HD. We got iOS 5 installed on my friends iPad and AppleTV and fired up Real Racing and it worked perfectly.

Lag was minimal to non existent on a 802.11n network. Very impressed.

21. macrumors newbie

You pretty much answered your own question. They want you to buy Apple TV ;)

22. macrumors regular

maybe that's the reason why...... I'd buy an apple tv for that maybe not for the gaming..... but movies would rock as long as I could mirror not only my ipad but my iphone and my mac to the tv(use cables now) or the ps3 for movies with a half a** setup of a server that crashes more often the not...... so yea this would be cool.... y would I wanna display something from my ipad on my computer if the content(minus the games and apps) prob came from that pc in the first place ???

23. macrumors 6502

SteveLV702

how did get to use the full tv screen... I have iOS 5 on iPad 2 and AppleTV and when I mirror I get black bars along the side :'(

Attached Files:

24. macrumors demi-god

LethalWolfe

People who want better controls? People who want access to Nintendo's iconic first party games? People who want games that can't be played using the iPad's relatively limited control interface?

Lethal

25. macrumors 65816

Hmm, with the Apple TV being ARM based I do wonder if they couldn't offer the ability to offload some or all of the rendering onto the Apple TV itself, depending on its capabilities of course, in order to reduce lag by only sending the data needed to perform an update. Or, at a pinch, provide your own partial rendering mechanism so you'd still be streaming the video but only updating the pieces you need to.