Dual screen notebook

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by mac3687, Feb 14, 2007.

1. mac3687 macrumors member

I saw something on Digg yesterday about a laptop that had two screens, but I didn't really lok too far into it. I was thinking today though, wouldn't it be neat to design a laptop where there is a normal screen up top, and where the keyboard is is instead another screen that is touch sensitive. When you want a normal laptop, it could display a keyboard. When you want a tablet, it sets itself up like a tablet. You could maybe also orient the notbook sideways on your desk to get more space wen working with graphics/video. Somewhow Apple's new touch interface could also be implemented. If this has already been talked about or is old news, I'm sorry, it just sorta popped in my head earlier.

2. Blurg Guest

I think that would be really cool. I wonder if the lack of tactile feedback would start to become an issue though, for those who had to do a lot of typing. On the iPhone I don't think it will be a huge problem because most people won't be typing for extended lengths of time. But like typing a novel on a touch screen might not be so fun.

3. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

I Agree, for typing, people like to push buttons. They like to feel the resistance and texture of each key so they know that they've pushed it.

4. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Yes, the feel of a button moving below your finger helps a lot, I've used touch sensitive keyboards like that and I just can't work with them...

5. Macmadant macrumors 6502a

Way too expensive and years away, having a second screen would make the laptop thicker, which is something apple won't do

6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

im sure if no one ever knew a button keyboard, they would say pushing buttons to type?????? i cant imagine not using a touchscreen!

i dunno much like how no one today can really imagine using a rotary phone

i personally think a touch screen keyboard would be pretty cool

7. 7on macrumors 601

7on

well that's when you use a real full sized keyboard anyway - if you want tactilness. I'm sure noone uses a trackpad over a mouse anyday - but Apple uses those on their laptops. The lack of tactileness would just have to be something people would have to get used to. Hell, even with my macbook I use an external full sized keyboard anyway - and I'm sure most people do.

8. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

maybe a little clicking noise would help hahaha

9. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

with a touchscreen KB, how much screen real estate do you gain anyway? anyway, I actually prefer my MBP's keyboard over the apple BT desktop one. It's just so...so... clicky!

10. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

The touch screen vibrates when you press a key on the touch screen.

11. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Yeah, I'm like that too. But if people like me and the rest of the world could get used to typing into a screen, imagine the possibilities.

12. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

How exactly would that be? The whole thing would vibrate and it would seem like an earthquake while trying to type :p

13. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Is this similar to the Alpine car stereo feedback? I think it's called pulse-touch.

14. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

Now that I would like to see... so only small portions of the screen give you feedback?

15. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

I can't believe anyone actually thinks not having physical buttons would be a good idea...

Heck, I *HATED* that about my 3G iPod, which is probably why it's the only generation not to use some form of physical button. I'd probably hate that about the iPhone too...but doing that to an entire computer?!?

16. tertiaryAdjunct macrumors newbie

Audio probably isn't enough feedback for a typing on a sub notebook. I can see that for a phone, but not a computer.