Dual screen on AL17 : big troubles ...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by luro22, Aug 3, 2003.

1. macrumors newbie

Aug 3, 2003
    Hello all,

I try to connect my Al17 to an external display.
    The external display is a Gallery 2010 formac (DVi version).

I have a very very big problem when I plug the panel to the DVi output of the powerbook :

It is recognized but after a few seconds, each screen, in an alternative manner, are automatically switch off and on ... the rate is about 2 seconds ... I can't understand this.

On the preference panel, the both screens are well recognized and resolution is automatically correct.

If I activate video recopy, the result is similar but more horrible : finally the output loose control and is a mess ....

If any body have ideas, experiences or anything please let me know.

I'm desesperate ...
  2. macrumors 6502

May 13, 2003
    in bed
    just a standard procedure.

is the external monitor working correctly on other computers?

is the pb17 working correctly with different monitors?

did you run the hardwaretests that should be coming on a cd when you purchase your 'book

From my experience, trashed screen appearence happen if not enough good video memory is available. Now, the PB 17 has enough of that - provided that it is not partly broken.
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 3, 2003

I had some problems with the Formac Galery 2010, on a radeon 9700 on a PC, but finally it worked fine (now for more than two month)
    I think the problem could come from the Formac, I read somewhere that its DVi input port as some strange behaviour, with some graphic boards, may be due to its power supply and impedance level.
    I will ask formac support also.

I just tried with a crt, throug the DVi - VGA adaptor that is provided, it's working fine ....

will try this now, I'll post the result.

Thanks a lot for your help
  4. macrumors 601

Mar 12, 2002
    BrisVegas, Australia
    don't forget that you can also check KnowlegeBase on Apple's site. they usually have fixes to most problems like this.
  5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 3, 2003
    Good idea ....

:mad: check the thread i found :

this simply sound as impossible for me ... what to do ?
  6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 3, 2003
    as a final word :

as me, my reseller finally admitted that the 2010 and Al17 were not compliant ...

I had my money back to be able to buy an apple screen ...

by the way, do you know if this line will be updated soon ?