Dual screen setup

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by thebt, Sep 26, 2003.

1. macrumors member

Jan 21, 2002
    I'll first tell a bit more of my mac configuration: a PowerMac G4 (Dual 450) with an AGP Radeon 9000 graphics card installed. The Radeon has 2 digital connectors (one ADC and one DVI).
    My Cinema 20" Display is connected to the ADC output.
    So no problems here (already running like that for months)

But now I hooked up my old 15" Sony TFT to my PM (I used the supplied DVI to analog converter).
    Still no problems, nice to have both screens working! :)
    But when I want to put my mac to sleep I can hear the hard drive and fans go sleeping and both screens get dark. But then suddenly (after 1-2 seconds) my mac awakes again!

So I thought I'll shutdown my mac, all programs quit and the system shuts down, but then the same thing happens. My mac automatically reboots!

So now I always have to disconnect the old screen before I can put my system to sleep or shut it down :mad:

Does anyone have a solution for this problem?

I already deleted the "com.apple.PowerManagement.xml" from my system library but still the same...

Hope anyone can help me! ;)
  2. macrumors regular

Dec 18, 2002
    sleep is probably not supported with that configuration. perhaps Panther will offer a fix.
  3. thread starter macrumors member

Jan 21, 2002
    So does that mean that everybody with one graphics card and 2 screens in OSX can't turn there mac off or put it to sleep? :confused:
    Or is it a problem with my mac or the Radeon 9000?
  4. iPC
    macrumors 6502

Jul 22, 2003
    East Windsor, CT
    Have you tried turning off the 2nd monitor before putting the machine to sleep?
  5. thread starter macrumors member

Jan 21, 2002
    Yes I tried turning of the second monitor but still the same.
    Could it be the monitor (so hardware problem) or is it my OS?

Maybe I could try to connect a regular screen to it but I think it won't matter :(