Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2010
Before anyone jump on me and say this wont ever happen I say.... WHY NOT?!

many ppl have two numbers one for work and one personal ( I don't I only have 1) but I would love to have an iPhone with two sims , one personal and one for traveling.

I think having two micro sims will solve the problems for many ppl and will not effect the sales of iPhone because you rarely see someone with two iPhones but I see many with 1 iPhone 1 BB..

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Too few people have multiple mobile telephone numbers. It only adds cost, and weight and takes up space, and it is to no benefit at all for a lot of users.

serkan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Menlo Park,California
I have it actually. I have 2 numbers that one of the is directed on the other one and they are combined in a nano-sim

When I have a call on my work or mobile I have one phone to answer.So dont see any kind of need for tow sims in iPhone

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
WHY NOT?!

I asked this question in 1998, the dawn of the cellular phone. Still waiting.

But I already know the current answer for the iPhone:

They had to yet down-size from a micro-sim to a nano-sim, do you think they have room for ANOTHER sim slot?

They changed the 30-pin to the smaller lightening knowing full well the wraths of countless owners throwing their accessories out. Do you think they have room for ANOTHER sim slot?

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Because most consumers in US have no clue what a sim card is. Many think if you put an "LTE" sim card in your phone, it becomes and LTE phone. Don't confuse them with 2 sim cards. :eek:

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2010
I asked this question in 1998, the dawn of the cellular phone. Still waiting.

But I already know the current answer for the iPhone:

They had to yet down-size from a micro-sim to a nano-sim, do you think they have room for ANOTHER sim slot?

They changed the 30-pin to the smaller lightening knowing full well the wraths of countless owners throwing their accessories out. Do you think they have room for ANOTHER sim slot?

i know! remember the rumors last year that Apple wants to get rid off the sim all together?!

i hate to drop the Samsung word in this thread but apparently there's a new S3 or whatever it's called with 2-sim slots.

since the nano is very small i think they can fit two in there let alone when the size of the iPhone gets bigger they can squeeze in more than two in there! :D

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Before anyone jump on me and say this wont ever happen I say.... WHY NOT?!

many ppl have two numbers one for work and one personal ( I don't I only have 1) but I would love to have an iPhone with two sims , one personal and one for traveling.

I think having two micro sims will solve the problems for many ppl and will not effect the sales of iPhone because you rarely see someone with two iPhones but I see many with 1 iPhone 1 BB..

Having two sim slots make it sound like it's a fake Chinese knock-off lol

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I have it actually. I have 2 numbers that one of the is directed on the other one and they are combined in a nano-sim

When I have a call on my work or mobile I have one phone to answer.So dont see any kind of need for tow sims in iPhone

Say what? :eek: what is the name of such sim & how do you configure it to understand specifics for each number? I might need to get ahold of one :cool:

serkan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Menlo Park,California
Say what? :eek: what is the name of such sim & how do you configure it to understand specifics for each number? I might need to get ahold of one :cool:

:) :) Well I live in Turkey and that sim is Turkcell's sim actually. I dont know how they do it but I dont think that is that hard to have. I dont know the technics of it but you can ask your carrier to combine two numbers for one sim.Like when I am opening my phone it ask me PIN number , so when I write my Pın number 1 it opens the my major number and the second number is forwardad to it but if I push the PIN number 2 it opens my other number that doesnt have any forward :)

I ll go and ask my carrier for more information and tell you more :)

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011

All you do is set up redirection on the number you need redirected to. So if you have number x and y. But y is a spare phone and you only ever carry phone x. What you would do is set up with the carrier to have the call redirected from phone y to phone x.

It's nothing to do with the sim, it's to do with the way the carrier routes the call. All carriers should be able to do it, if you ask, sometimes for a fee, sometimes for free.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
Back in the days of PowerTel, predecessor to VoiceStream, predecessor to T-mobile USA, it was possible to get two lines on a single SIM card as I had the service. And this was on an ancient dumb phone. So it sounds that's like what the guy with TurkCel has. I'm guessing this is still technically possible but I don't think any US carrier still offers it. Wonder how the iPhone would respond to such a SIM?

True dual SIM phones are common overseas as many people want to insert SIMs from different carriers...a work/personal SIM or a home country/current country sim. Don't know that apple would offer this unless it really became a requested feature. An internal programmable SIM like Apple wanted could have probably been made to work simultaneously with two carriers. Or maybe the new nano sims will allow back to back insertion in a new SIM tray that wouldn't really take more footprint within an iPhone.

I suspect the reason these never caught on in the States was due to the fact that CDMA carriers didn't have SIM cards, and the number of people who wanted a Dual T-mobile/AT&T phone just was never all that large. Also the relative number of people who travel/roam abroad is low. Maybe this will change over time if LTE phones eventually are capable of supporting all worldwide operator bands.

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2010
does anyone still think Apple will ever make duel sim iPhone? it makes sense if they iPhone gets bigger screen to get more space for additional sim....

i never owned 2 phones but i feel guilty of thinking about ordering both the 5s and 5c for some reason...

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
Will never happen.

Apple caters to as wide a spectrum of customers as possible, dual-sim users are rarest of the rare.

I carry two phones, but I'd never want them to merge. The work security restrictions cripple the OS, prevent JB, and drain battery. Having two SIMs won't change that. It'll also need two separate instances of the OS, or two accounts.

In this case, BlackBerry's split mode would be much more useful. It's more likely that there's one better/superior carrier for the area.

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2010
Will never happen.

Apple caters to as wide a spectrum of customers as possible, dual-sim users are rarest of the rare.

I carry two phones, but I'd never want them to merge. The work security restrictions cripple the OS, prevent JB, and drain battery. Having two SIMs won't change that. It'll also need two separate instances of the OS, or two accounts.

In this case, BlackBerry's split mode would be much more useful. It's more likely that there's one better/superior carrier for the area.

-rare? i never owned two phones but pretty much every single employee i know has two, one for business and one for personal use, it just depends on where you live i guess.

-to have dual sim iPhone is so not Apple i know but i can see them bringing Dual Sim option for the bigger sized iPhoned to differentiate them from the current iPhones.Plus, it will be much easier to do that in a bigger sized iPhones.

-and don't forget Dual Sim smartphones are becoming more popular in such important markets for Apple like China.

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
Consider Apple is introducing a device that works independent of carriers...
That would be awesome. Make my E-Mail/Apple-ID my "phone number".
It's 21th century, VOIP will take over anyways.

The only thing you need a SIM card for is data.

Do you still use contacts on your SIM? No.
Do you care about phone numbers? No, you cannot even remember them.
Do you care if your friends are on a different network? No, not anymore.

The whole Carrier/SIM card thing is just to make you pay.

You could sync your "SIM Card" using iTunes, buying an online "contract".
The delivery of a physical SIM is just a leftover from the past to annoy you.

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
Not going to happen!

Of course not, I'm only dreaming.

I just wanted to make a point that SIM cards are a useless leftover from an outdated business model that near-monopoly carriers need to survive.

Most of them are dumb pipes right now.

10 years back the only way to consume "multimedia" content on your phone was using carrier services. Merging internet services and mobile content wasn't even on the radar. Believe me, I was there.

Also, most carriers believe their competition is other carriers, which is completely untrue. Carriers become less and less relevant because the services are on the internet. They hardly make money.

jordanogrady

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2010
While I think it's a great idea (for the user) you could have a pay as you go SIM card with loads of data added on, then a super cheap pay monthly tariff, then use one to get your phone deal, and use the other for data.... Something like that....

Phone companies would potentially lose out on a phone sale tho....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.