Dual USB charger for iPhone & iPad available yet??

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by sonictonic, Apr 24, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502a

Hey guys,

I have this one bookmarked, from MacAlly...
    http://www.macally.com/EN/Product/ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=326#

...but it's still not available and I want one NOW. :p

Is anyone else making one? Or better yet is one for sale yet?

Will this one from Griffin work? They don't show many specs on it...
    http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/powerblock-dual-universal

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

EDIT:
    Ooooh what about this cool Belkin dual USB charger and 3 outlet item? This is great for travel... Will it quickly and properly charge iPhone and iPad you think?
    http://www.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=400738

EDIT 2:
    Read that the Belkin device is not too friendly with iPhones and won't charge via both USB ports at the same time. How stupid... Why else would I need two USB ports on one device? Guess I'll keep waiting...

2. macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

I've been using musicPower Duet for a year with an iPod Touch 2nd Gen, iPhone 3Gs and now iPad. Works fine. :)

3. macrumors 65816

I've seen the Belkin one at Best Buy. You should just see if you can find it there and give it a try. I'm sure it'll charge the iPhone and iPad.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys.

CAKing - Don't see it on the website... and nothing like it under $29. Found it on Amazon though for only $10.88! And I have to order another item anyway so I'm just gonna add that one to my cart.

I can report back if anyone is interested, otherwise, see ya around :)

5. macrumors 65816

I don't think that any of the ones mentioned can charge the ipad at full speed; meaning it may take twice as long to charge it as the ones make specifically for the ipad. Am I correct?

6. macrumors 65816

This one has only 500ma for each USB port.

7. macrumors regular

I have the Belkin. - it is slow to charge my iPad, 3% after 15 minutes.
    Scocshe (spelling), has a dual USB charger that looks more powerful. N/A till Late Spring.

8. thread starter macrumors 6502a

How many "ma" do I need to charge the iPad at the same speed as the included adapter?

What's frustrating as hell is this type of tech spec is not available for all these devices, even the Apple one on their own site. It's like they want it to be a secret.

EDIT:
    Just canceled this item in my Amazon order. I read that both USB ports won't charge at the same time and they aren't too friendly with iPhones. LAME! Why is this so complicated anyway? Yes I know USB has a common minimum spec, but if you've got 1+ USB ports, plugged directly into an AC outlet, why can I not get the full power from the wall to all outlets? I don't get it.

9. macrumors 68040

jjk454ss

10. thread starter macrumors 6502a

11. macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Amazon has the one I listed above at half the price that I paid a year ago, when the item was introduced. Dual charging. :) (iProducts approved.)

I'll shut up now. ;)

12. macrumors 68040

jjk454ss

You didn't say it had to be available and affordable:D. I actually didn't look very close, I just remembered seeing it the other day.

13. thread starter macrumors 6502a

lelisa, Thanks. :) Looks like that one only puts out 500ma just like the Belkin one as the other poster mentioned and apparently that barely charges the iPad... meaning it works but really slowly... :(

And JJ, thanks, but actually my first post said I want one NOW and not to have to wait. ;)

14. macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

The first time I charged my iPad after running the battery down to 6%, I charged for 3 hours and was back up to 100%. How fast do you want to go? :confused:

Now I plug in and go to sleep.

15. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, something does not add up here because nippy above said the Belkin is only 500ma (same as yours) and Major says his Belkin charged only 3% in 15 minutes.

This should not be so confusing, but it is. So I'm going to wait it out.

16. macrumors member

Any updates here re. to dual chargers?

Sonictonic any progress in your search?

17. thread starter macrumors 6502a

^
    None unfortunately. I gave up and am using a different spot and outlet for my iPad. :p

Maybe when this MacAlly one comes out I'll get that, or if Griffin hurries up and makes an iPad version of their dual charger...

18. macrumors 68030

CrAkD

I charge my iphone on my nightstand and my ipad at my computer desk. Cant really replace the speed of the ipad included charger. I was at 8% about an hour so ago im already up to 40%.

19. macrumors 6502a

the belkin one is cool looking it's only 5 volt. it'll charge the ipad but verryyyy slowly. 10 volt is where it's at.

20. macrumors 603

roland.g

I've got one that charges both at the same time just fine. It's called my iMac. :D

21. macrumors member

Understood Roland, have the same thing but when it's in sleep mode not charging.

22. macrumors regular

Yeah, I'm wondering what all the fuss is about as well.

23. thread starter macrumors 6502a

The fuss is about convenience, and that not everyone wants all their stuff plugged into their computer or at their desk. I like having my iPhone plugged in on the nightstand, and would like to plug in the iPad there as well. Would be nice to take up just one outlet for both devices.

Also portability... it'd be nice to only have to bring one adapter instead of two in case I travel somewhere with my iPad and iPhone.

24. macrumors member

THIS > Also portability... it'd be nice to only have to bring one adapter instead of two in case I travel somewhere with my iPad and iPhone.

SonicTonic you nailed it again + the aforementioned nightstand issue.

25. macrumors member

Has anyone seen anything that fills this void yet?