Dualboot OS9/10.1, Upgrading X to Panther

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by arf147, Jul 14, 2004.

1. arf147 macrumors newbie

I've searched the forum and haven't come across anything asking too similar to this.

My friend currently has a G4 dual booting with OS 9 or OS 10.1. He called me up yesterday to ask if I could help him upgrade to Panther which he just bought. He would like to ultimately dualboot between OS 9 and Panther. Being as most deprived kids, I've grown up to be fluent in the setup of Windows, but only had occasional access to using Macs but rarely for anything technical like this.

First, is this process viable?
    Is so, to preserve the dual booting, can anyone give me a few basic guidelines to follow to do so, or can you direct me to a good source to answer these questions?

Of course, the first step is going to be back up EVERYTHING...(and then maybe backup again to be safe).

Thanks,
    Alan

2. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

You only need to back up once.

You also do not need to do a clean instal.

You can insert the Panther disk, and choose instal MacOSX.

The Mac will reboot after getting admin password.

Choose upgrade.

40 minutes later you have a duak boot Panther/9.2.2

3. arf147 thread starter macrumors newbie

:cool: Maybe its something about Macs that makes the process just that easy. Upgrading Windows is always just so painfully full of conflicts to begin with and there's always a hook...

If it works that smoothly I'll probably be more worried and more confused than if the Mac just sizzled and started smoking.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

seamuskrat is correct - it really is that simple. Once booted off the Panther CD, you'll actually have to do an archive and install (make sure you save the users and network settings) because the installer won't upgrade 10.1 or earlier to 10.3 (only 10.2 to 10.3). However, Mac OS 9 boot capability will NOT be disrupted.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It might help to ensure that OS 9 is at 9.2.2 before installing Panther.

6. arf147 thread starter macrumors newbie

Correction

I looked at the Mac yesterday...it does have 10.2 / 9 so I'm hoping that means I can just use the upgrade, not the archive and install option. Is that correct? Also, does it matter what version of 9 is on there?

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Okay - here's some answers:
    1. Yes - you can just do an upgrade if you have 10.2 on the Mac currently.
    2. Classic requires Mac OS 9.1 or later - Mac OS 9.2.2 is recommended, which you can upgrade to for free from Apple.

8. arf147 thread starter macrumors newbie