dualboot osx os9

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TheMacGuy, Jul 11, 2006.

1. TheMacGuy macrumors newbie

hi, i have the iMac dv 9.0.4 install cd, and is there anyway i can trick the computer into thinking its a imac g3 dv? so i can install os 9?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Not if it's telling you that it cannot install on that computer. It's pulling that info from the ROM, which isn't a user-changable thing.

Now.. if you would be a little more forthcoming with the details on what you're trying to do, we might be able to help you with a solution.

What kind of computer do you have that you're trying to install OS 9 on?

3. TheMacGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

o.k. i have a powermac g3 blue and white (i overclocked to 450mhz, from 300mhz) it has a 384mb ram, 7gb hard drive, os 10.2.8- i have the imac dv 9.0.4 software install cd (along with the software restore and hardware test) when i try to install it starts up classic, which i do not have, so i started it up from the cd (c button when starting) it booted and when i tried to install it couldn't see my hard drive. i do not know what to do, i would love to use my classic apps though.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

It's been a million years since I used either Jaguar or Classic...

Does Classic comes as an install on the Jaguar installer CDs? Part of the Restore CD or Extras CD?

Did you happen to have erased your boot hard drive and NOT checked the box marked OS 9 boot drivers? Was that even an option in Jaguar?

5. TheMacGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

no, 10.2 cd didn't have anything. the closest thing is the imac 9.0.4 cd. in the next day or two i will have an emac come in, i can get classic by my imac g4's dvd. my powermac only has a cd drive! anyway i just want to play a mac os 9 game, for today, (see, i just sold my ibook g4 1.33ghz 12", and after i sold that i was thinking to get a macbook, but that didn't happen- i talked to my mac guy and he said to wait until they fix all the bugs, so i looked on ebay and saw an emac 700mhz with an airport card for only $275! so i bought and i am going to get an intel mac in Jan, talking about the rough life!)

THANKS!
    Jordan Kennedy

6. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

lol it's halarious when OS X tells you to install Classic when you can't even run the Classic install in X. You have to boot up using the OS 9 Install CD. But if that CD is for another type of Mac, the install may not work. If it doesn't work, look inside all the folders of the CD and look for an image in the Classic restore CD (dmg or bin). It's fairly large. Tell us how it goes.

To boot up on the CD, put the CD in then restart and hold "C".