Dude, I got an iMac!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Tgold, Dec 25, 2002.

1. Tgold macrumors newbie

Wow, being a pc user for the past 20 years I am 75% clueless about my new machine. I should be serving a life sentence for all the "illegal operations" I have performed through the years. I have 100s of questions, but, hopefully I can get one answered.

1. Browser add-ons.
    I am using chimera. I bet the horses so I need WMP and RP which I have installed...I think. When clicking these links my browser only downloads them and does not open(RealPlayer). For Windows media it opens but never finds the link. How do I know if I have installed them properly?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I have allways found that for pages that include Real or Windows media IE works best, Chimera isn't quite up to scratch with these plug-ins yet. :(

3. Tgold thread starter macrumors newbie

4. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Try going into the Preferences of RealPlayer and WindozeMedia and see whether there is a configuration for browsers. If that doesn't work.. I can't help you, because it's true it doesn't work in Chimera but it works fine in IE on my machine....

irmongoose

5. Tgold thread starter macrumors newbie

WM is working. When clicking a link for RP it downloads and itunes shows up on my top menu.
    Where should RP exist on my HD? Where can I disable itunes from trying play a music link?

6. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Control-click on the music file you download and you should see a menu and one of the things in the list should say Open With. Now keep the menu there are hold option. This should change the Open With to Always Open With. Now go ahead from there and select Real Player, and then it should always open that type of file with Real Player.

I don't think Real Player requires you to put it in any specific place, but if it does, it would be in the Applications folder.

irmongoose

7. Tgold thread starter macrumors newbie

Great, thanks.
    Now, is there a way to stop ie from saving to hd as well as playing file>?

8. grobbins macrumors member

In IE's preferences under Download Options, click "Always use download location from appropriate file helpers"

That will keep many of those temporary files out of sight.

RealOne Player for Mac OS X can run from anywhere on the hard drive, but the Applications folder is a good place for it. If you are not an administrative user of the machine, you might want to keep RealOne Player somewhere within your home directory so it can update itself with new codecs if those are necessary.