Dude, I'm gettin a Dell

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by h0e0h, Feb 18, 2005.

1. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

Axim x30 that is. It'll be my first PDA and i'm basically getting it to pass the slow times in class with the Wi-Fi and some of the games. The bluetooth is nice because it will sync pretty easily with my PC (which i'll probably never do) and the Bluetooth with the Powerbook (which will be my primary means with some software i found from the apple website.

If anyone thinks they have a better idea PLEASE let me know. I want a fast Proc (624 mHz) and Wi-Fi AND Bluetooth, and that's why the Tungsten didn't work out for me. Let me know what you guys think...

2. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

I would like to disagee and tell you to get the apple PDA you idiot, but I can't well do that can I? ;)

3. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

From the review I read on Dell's PDAs they seem to make a pretty nice little machine. I have not used one myself but from what I have read you should be happy with one.

4. h0e0h thread starter macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

i wished you could... believe me, i wished you could...

5. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

god that title was frightening... :rolleyes:

But yeah, the Dell Axim is a very good PDA. Only problem I have with it is it's size... assuming I'm thinking of the same thing. It's considerably bigger than most PDA's.

But then again I'm obsessed with things being small...

6. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

7. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Are Dell PDAs like their PCs as far as quality? I have seen a lot of Dells with hardware problems in my day. I am interested in a phone that is like a PDA but takes advantage of iTunes music, MPEG-4 video H.264, address book support, iCal support, iPhoto, Mail, and even Microsoft Entourage, and bluetooth. Windows users are lucky because PDAs currently exist on the planet that support their apps like Outlook.

8. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Have fun! I don't use a PDA. Cell phones have as much of that functionality as I need. I hate feeling like I'm just a vehicle for modern electronics gadgets that don't have legs.

9. h0e0h thread starter macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

I sure hope not... I do own 2 Dell PCs and i HATE THEM. Actually the were one for my parents and one for my brother. I spent my whole Christmas morning networking and setting up user accounts and registering and all this mumbo jumbo... then i pulled my PB out of the box when it got here and was up and running... literally right out of the box no charging or anything, in 5 minutes... Dell's support is crap from what i understand, but i'm a CIS major so hopefully i won't need it... because if i get outsmarted by Windows Mobile 2003, i'm dropping out of college and hoping to land a job at McDonald's.

10. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I had an X30h, and I loved it. Very good quality, performed very well. I ended up selling it because I never really used it. It turned out to be just an expensive toy for me. Dell PDA's are quite a deal though, compared to HP.

11. Rob587 macrumors 6502a

Rob587

I had the same problem.... I went out and bought a top of the line HP PDA for something radiculous like $699, and I never used it. I guess I might have if I could get wi fi, but I couldnt at the time, so I sold it. Good luck with your purchase. My HP worked great for the little time I had it.

12. lordmac macrumors regular

Well they should be better as dell doesn't make one bit of there pda's there all just re-branded. But honestly I just wish palm would get their heads out of their asses when it comes to the specs of their palms because I just cant stand the windows pda os compared to the palm os. I mean the treo 650 is really the only palm to have on par specs with its competing windows Mobil smart phones. :p

13. paulypants macrumors 6502a

paulypants

ROFL!! You're killin me!

I wish apple would release a new newton...

14. boobers macrumors regular

Get an X50v
    Works great for video. And the new 3d games are kickass on it.
    I got one and i skype on it all the time.
    I use an airport express with it.

15. h0e0h thread starter macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

The only problem is the x50v costs more than i want to spend. I'm a college student on a budget and its main use is going to be my calendar, e-mail, internet via Wi-Fi, syncing via BlueTooth, and games in class. So i want the fastest Proc i can get for my money, but also the best overall price.

16. j_maddison macrumors 6502a

j_maddison

I agree, its all down to preference though. The annoying thing about palm is that the moment they add wifi or gprs as standard, they add a stupid thumb keyboard. I'd much rather use graffiti for txt input, and if i need a keyboard i'll plug a full size one in to the base of the device.

The i-mate jam is worth looking at, very small and handy device. As a phone its not the best, but as a connected PDA its a pretty good piece of kit and small to!

Jay

17. jorel macrumors newbie

Just my two cents here, but I have a Dell X3 with 80211.b. I had these grand plans of surfing the web at local hotspots, checking email, writing email. Not so much. For me I now use it as a expensive daily calendar for work and that's about it. The text input is not as good as Palms recognition system. I find myself retyping a lot of what I've already written etc.

18. boobers macrumors regular

VGA is worth a few extra bux in my opinion. Look on http://www.aximsite.com/boards/forumdisplay.php?f=18 for deals that dell has. They often have coupons that will bring the x50v down to below 400bux - cheapest i have seen it was 352.00

Good luck with your decision, web surfing on sites that aren't PDA friendly are a holy terror. Also, you mentioned games? you need the 3d engine that comes with the x50v otherwise you will be playing really really crappy games.

I really like it for video. I put on headphones and watch some Trailer Park Boys episodes whilst my girl sleeps.

19. h0e0h thread starter macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

As far as games i was talking about stuff like solitare and tetris... not like Doom 3D... and i will never watch videos or listen to music because i've got my PB when i travel and my iPod for everywhere. The reason i really want it is to surf the forums in class and play games addicting and time consuming games like i mentioned earlier...

I can go with the Axim x50 for 359.10 (not the v)
    or i can go with the Axim x30 for 347.90

There is a difference in the processor speed, be it not much, and the x50 has more memory and a better stylus and no gawdy antenna so which do you guys think... of the two? I'm ordering probably tomorrow and i need some help...

20. mac-er macrumors 65816

Smart Phone?

Have you considered getting a Smart Phone? Either a Treo 650 (Sprint PCS and Cingular have this one..don't know about the other carriers) or, ugh, a Windows Mobile Smart Phone.

The Treo has bluetooth capabilities. Cingular has a Motorola MPx220 that is Windows-based and has Bluetooth.

It just seems like stand-alone PDA devices are well on their way to extinction, plus it would be one less device to carry.

21. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

Sounds like senior year of high school for me. Mine was my ibook and airport extreme, (yes my high school is Mac friendly :D )

22. h0e0h thread starter macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

The only thing about that is that my cell provider is local and doesn't provide a smart phone. I don't take my phone to class anyway because when i get the palm i'll communicate through email vs. text messages or something. I don't want to have it for a phone... just something to pass the time in class... i've got an ECON professor who is foreign (no offense to anyone reading this) But his class is easy and his accent is hard to follow so i just play iPod solitare, and that's getting too easy... And the building that i'm in is a campus hotspot...

23. h0e0h thread starter macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

So, does anyone currently use a bluetooth enabled PPC with mark/space's the Missing Sync for Poket PC and their mac? I want to know how that software works too... since my powerbook is my primary computer and all i use the PC for is this forum and solitare... (no, seriously, that's it)

24. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

my dad has a pocket pc, and i couldn't get it to sync with my mac, albeit... i didn't try too hard. But I didn't know that the pocket pc was compatible. I thought only palms were.

25. h0e0h thread starter macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

they are you just have to have special software for iSync to detect them. Check out http://www.mac.com/isync and you can find a list of supported device and the software needed to make them compatable if any...