Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Now who would you pair up the Dell Dude with in a Celebrity Boxing match?

Ben Curtis vs. Seth Green

Hopefully these spots don't make launch Ben's career like the Rally's commercials dids Seth's career.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Holly Crap, what a bunch of, well, crap. Now I know why I don't like unions....I wonder if he even knew he was going against the guild - ha, sounds a little like blacklisting - that and being banned from acting for up to 5 years. Sorry, this just annoys me to no end.....

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
Unions tend to anoy me too, but the actors guild is actually a pretty good one. They aren't afraid to censure large stars, and they keep everyone equally well represented, down to the guy who deos barely enough work to live. The guild provides those struggling actors with health benifits. As unions go, this ones all right.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by dukestreet
Holly Crap, what a bunch of, well, crap. Now I know why I don't like unions....I wonder if he even knew he was going against the guild - ha, sounds a little like blacklisting - that and being banned from acting for up to 5 years. Sorry, this just annoys me to no end.....

The dell dude was more annoying... I hope he fades out and no one remembers him when those five years are up. I would find it just if he never gets another acting job again, ever. :D "dude, I'm in hell" :D

blakespot

Administrator
Original poster
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
I am often amazed at peoples dislike for unions.

It is the effort of labor unions--and no other force--that brought to reality the 40hr work week, sick leave, vacation leave, benefits, retirement, etc. Before these were achieved by unions they were available _nowhere_. These features spread beyond strictly union-shops in time, but they are here becuase of unions. Almost no one is aware of that, it seems.

And the whole thought of unions as similar to the mob---the whole Jimmy Hoffa scene, that has nothing to do with unions today or for most of the past 50 years. Is there corruption here and there? Sure. But no more than in any other large-scale private business scenario. Christ, look at Enron, WorldCom, etc. Corruption of the private industry far exceeds that of unions.

I have, for the past 16 months, been an employee of the AFL-CIO and am a member of the Newspaper Guild, which is part of the Communciations Workers of America (CWA). Many misconceptions that I had harbored about unions have been shattered over the past year.

I wonder how many people who complain about unions actually have any idea of just what they are all about?

blakespot

ShaolinMiddleFinger

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2001
Originally posted by AlphaTech

... I hope he fades out and no one remembers him when those five years are up.

I actually want people to remember who he is.... "Aren't you that Dell, Dude guy"

"yessss...."

"man, you suck like those Dells"

He runs home to break his crayons and cries.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by blakespot
Many misconceptions that I had harbored about unions have been shattered over the past year.

Maybe I share some of those misconceptions, but the few times I've been dealing with union people, there is a tendency to have very narrow ranges of what you actually do for your job - which tends to get expressed as 'that's not my responsibility'

I can't think of how many times I've seen construction workers standing around waiting for one guy to finish what he's doing so they can get to work. In my book, you just do it, don't worry about whether its your job or not. So I guess what I'm saying is that there is a tendency for slackerism inherent in unions - but also that's not always the case - I really hate stereotyping.

D

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Actually, I don't think SAG has mentioned what his punishment is for crossing the line, maybe it'll be something utterly horrific like a 5 yr. extension to his Steven contract.

sneed

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by blakespot
I am often amazed at peoples dislike for unions.

I wonder how many people who complain about unions actually have any idea of just what they are all about?

blakespot

Jimmy Hoffa didn't dissapear until '75, and the mob connections are well established to be a lot more recent than 50 years ago.

That's just beinig nit-picky though, I can tell you that there are huge problems with unions in America. Look at what happened to the US steel industry if you want some perspective. Unions, are at the top, just as corrupt as the coorporations they are supposed to be protecting you from.

As far as their reputation, I can tell you that when my father tried to take on the teamsters, and then later the longshoremen, we had to go on high alert due to death threats. We had to go into virtual hiding. I'm glad the unions ushered in the 40 hour work week, but have you ever seen a hot labor negotiation? Shotguns, axe handles, and thugs from out of town. I say this from personal experience, take it for what you will.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
What it all boils down to is human nature - that won't change - in this case the head of the monster is different. Theories are always nice, but practical applications usually don't live up to expectations.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by awrc

Someone like The Rock maybe. It'd be brief, but very satisfying, I'm sure :D

How about Mike Tyson??? :eek: :eek: :eek: Take him off the stuff that makes him NOT bite people long enough before the fight too... :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.