Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Duet Display, the app that allows you to turn your iPad into an extra display for your Mac, is today gaining new features designed to turn the iPad Pro into a high-performance graphics tablet able to compete with Intuos or Wacom drawing tablets.

The new "Duet Pro" capabilities allow Duet Display to support the Apple Pencil on a 12.9 or 9.7-inch iPad Pro, allowing users to draw directly on their iPads and have the result show up on a connected desktop app.

duetdisplaypro-800x560.jpg

Duet Display is also being updated with new algorithms to make drawing more responsive and to allow for better color quality and color correction. Features like palm rejection and hover functionality are included.

Duet Pro will be available as part of a subscription tier that's priced at $20 per year for both new and existing customers.

Duet Display's pro features are available on Macs running OS X 10.9 or later and Windows machines running Windows 8 and 10. An iPad Pro is also required.

Duet Display can be downloaded from the App Store for $9.99, a temporary discount. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Duet Display for iPad Gains 'Pro' Drawing Features

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
It's a shame the app can't take advantage of the USB 3 connection of the 12" iPad Pro.

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
I had to uninstall Duet Display because it broke AirPlay. Apparently it's an issue that happens with display-based apps.

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
I sure hope they fixed the issue where it completely kills Airplay on the computer. The only way I could find to fix Airplay was to reinstall macOS, let's just say I never bothered to reinstall it.

Reactions: dwsolberg

rahulda1

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2016
I sure hope they fixed the issue where it completely kills Airplay on the computer. The only way I could find to fix Airplay was to reinstall macOS, let's just say I never bothered to reinstall it.
Hey! That's actually a known Airplay bug with USB displays. I strongly suggest filing a radar as it only happens with a small percentage of Macs.

Reactions: dwsolberg

rahulda1

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2016
Wait, what?!?! $20 a year? That's a joke right. I'll stick to Astropad with no yearly "rental" fee.
We have a ton of future improvements, upgrades, and new features we are working on, and want to resource for that. It's a sophisticated product that requires constant updates.

And honestly, I think subscription is far better for the customer. Instead of the one time large purchase, we have to continuously earn your business, so we will focus on making the product better instead of marketing to new customers.

Yes Another Tweet

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
We have a ton of future improvements, upgrades, and new features we are working on, and want to resource for that. It's a sophisticated product that requires constant updates.

And honestly, I think subscription is far better for the customer. Instead of the one time large purchase, we have to continuously earn your business, so we will focus on making the product better instead of marketing to new customers.

Subscription is only better for the consumer if there is no other option for that service. Adobe has the monopoly on what they do. No other application is anywhere close to do what their CC suite does. The minute another developer comes up with a suite that works as well as Lightroom/Photoshop then the subscription model will collapse for Adobe.
[doublepost=1477413492][/doublepost]

BTW, you competition is exactly the same price as a one-year subscription for your "service".

rahulda1

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2016
Subscription is only better for the consumer if there is no other option for that service. Adobe has the monopoly on what they do. No other application is anywhere close to do what their CC suite does. The minute another developer comes up with a suite that works as well as Lightroom/Photoshop then the subscription model will collapse for Adobe.
Ya I think that makes a lot of sense and agree. But the reason they can create such a high quality product is because they have additional resources to hire the best talent to continue improving it.

It is hard to maintain and update such a sophisticated app for a one time purchase which is why no one has done it yet.
[doublepost=1477413704][/doublepost]
[doublepost=1477413492][/doublepost]

BTW, you competition is exactly the same price as a one-year subscription for your "service".

We offer a lot more than any competitor. We have second display functionality, Windows support, and are significantly more responsive. And we have a lot more we want to do.

Yes Another Tweet

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Ya I think that makes a lot of sense and agree. But the reason they can create such a high quality product is because they have additional resources to hire the best talent to continue improving it.

It is hard to maintain and update such a sophisticated app for a one time purchase which is why no one has done it yet.

HUH?!?! Adobe did this for more than 20-years. They switched over to to subscription because they knew they would make more money, a lot more money...not to better develop their software. Listen to every single user and they will say that Adobe apps have suffered since they switched.

Developers make more money by developing better software and offering the upgrades at a lower price to people that update than the new clients.

Software is a "product" not a "service". Netflix is a "service" not a "product".

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
Maybe. They didn't though, and developers worked it out, and then other developers followed. The main point to remember here is; someone figured it out, and they're continuing to improve it. I think thats worth paying for.
Yeah, I don't mind the price. But if there was a 1st party function, integration would be more seemless and flexible. Duet works brilliantly though.

Reactions: luciferuk

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
HUH?!?! Adobe did this for more than 20-years. They switched over to to subscription because they knew they would make more money, a lot more money...not to better develop their software. Listen to every single user and they will say that Adobe apps have suffered since they switched.

Developers make more money by developing better software and offering the upgrades at a lower price to people that update than the new clients.

Software is a "product" not a "service". Netflix is a "service" not a "product".

I agree completely except a couple things:

I'm not sure who you talked to that says Adobe's creative apps have suffered since the switch to Cloud, they are pretty much of the same quality as they always have been. Not substantially better, despite the massively increased ongoing costs, but not worse. Also - developers don't make more money developing better software and selling it cheaper. That's the whole point of this massive shift to subscription services for lots of apps. They make way more money following Adobe's model, it just royally screws their customer base financially.

Yes Another Tweet

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona

I'm not sure who you talked to that says Adobe's creative apps have suffered since the switch to Cloud, they are pretty much of the same quality as they always have been. Not substantially better, despite the massively increased ongoing costs, but not worse. Also - developers don't make more money developing better software and selling it cheaper. That's the whole point of this massive shift to subscription services for lots of apps. They make way more money following Adobe's model, it just royally screws their customer base financially.

I never said make more money THAN subscription. I said make more money by creating updates. I stated that Adobe's only reason for the switch was to make a lot more money than before. Adobe used to create a new suite every 12-18 months with some incredible new features. Now we get minor tweaks every 6-8 months. Look at the progress done in the previous 5-years before the whole CC and you can see how incredible Photoshop was every time they updated it. Now we get ONE or TWO new features.

dwsolberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2003

Finally, a reasonable subscription cost! So many apps are either free or $10/month. I certainly want developers I like to make money, and this is a wonderful app that I use several times a week. It's still buggy under Sierra, but the developers are constantly updating and they do respond to help requests. $20 a year is a good price for what it offers.

I personally prefer to buy my stuff rather than rent it. I'd rather buy a new $20 app for the new OS every year, but I know that can be hard for the developer to sustain.

Anyway, I'd recommend this app because it really helps me and I want the developer to stay in business.

Reactions: akdj and a_coorn

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
I agree. I got all excited to hear Duet Display was adding this feature, but then I saw the subscription part.

The whole industry is trying to become a big wad of services. Pretty soon, it'll get where you may as well rent your PC or Mac while you're at it, because everything you do with it will be on some kind of monthly or annual membership fee.

I agree with someone else who said "Software should be a product, not a service." When it ceases to be a product, quality always drops. Office 365 is a great example. Ever since Microsoft rolled that out, we've been collectively stuck with a series of Office apps that removed a bunch of features that used to be in them (supposedly for the sake of making one version for all platforms with identical features and menus, one of these days). Excel 2016 for Mac, especially, is a buggy pile of junk now. We've got spreadsheets it simply can't handle without randomly crashing on them, and we have to keep Excel 2011 installed in parallel with it to work with them.

Why can't users buy that functionality? $20 a year to rent it? Certainly lost me...

Bbqthis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2015
Bay Area, CA
After using DD Pro for a day and Astropad for years, I can make these preliminary observations. DD Pro has the slight rendering advantage. It doesn't have the pixelly panning artifacts that Astropad has (much less after their latest release of course). DD Pro also has a slight advantage in that it acts like a self contained display so you don't have to fiddle with programs to fit on the iPad screen. This may be a disadvantage however if you like the ability to zoom and choose which parts of the program are visible like in Astropad. Astropad wins hands down in image quality. It can much more successfully render at a "retina" resolution. DD Pro has issues with size when you try to do that. And of course Astropad wins in the wireless department, because you have to be plugged in to use DD Pro. With a fast wifi connection, Astropad is as fluid unplugged as it is plugged in. Astropad also is a one time price, DD Pro is a subscription.

tl;dr: Both are good products, DD Pro a little more simple to use, limits your options, but provides a reliable (if non-mobile) product. Astropad still wins for image quality but still has those small artifacts.

jakeowens

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2009
Vancouver, BC, Canada

Adobe after effects has been suffering a lot in the last 2 years. Real time playback no longer works correctly and they keep saying it's coming as a "new feature" but yet it's still broken.

Reactions: akdj
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.