Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ukneeq

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2007
Lewisville, TX
wow talk about some fan boys.

Lets look at some simple facts here on why the conclusion that it was apple fault.

First the iPhone was the devices struggling with their wireless network. Other devices where working just fine. That be laptops or window model devices. Palm I would suspect would not work on their network due to limitation in palm wireless software (palm fault)

Yet people here can not understand that fact. It a fact that the bug was caused by the iPhone not some other devices but the iPhone. When it ONLY the iPhone not working with the network then you are right the iPhone is going to eat the blame and any intelligent person should understand that fact well unless you are a fan boy or apple then well it still a true statement because intelligents goes out the window and you are no longer an intelligent person.

I do understand that the iPhone caused the Cisco bug to be detected. But that doesn't mean it is the iPhone's fault. If the iPhone was out of spec I would agree with you. I don't know why you think someone has to be a fanboy just because they want to hold someone accountable for their words. Here is the exact quote from the article: “I don’t believe it’s a Cisco problem in any way, shape, or form,” Unless he was misquoted, which I don't believe he was because I haven't seen anything from the guy saying he was, he should be held to what he said. Honestly I have no clue why he wanted to focus blame on the iPhone. Cause according to the article they were saying just 1 iPhone could cause the problem they were experiencing. Don't you think if it was an iPhone problem that wifi hotspots, people's home connections, etc... would aslo experience this issue? I mean I thought it was fishy that this was the only place that was having the issue and then trying to blame it on the iPhone.

leong1234

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2007
I am not sure if the people who has been laying it thick on Kevin Miller has ever been interviewed by the media.

I had. Many times. I would say most of the times, when I read the published article, my reaction would be "I said that ????" I did not believe the press was trying to spin what I had to say. Often, they just failed to spell out the full context or they did not fully understand the details

I had similar experience to Kevin. I was once quoted on saying something negative about a particular technology. Missing in the short article were the many qualifiers I had laid out. I suspect similar qualifers such as "based on the data we have collected, I strongly belive ..." were missing from Kevin's quotes.

Like PeterJHill, I had worked with Kevin in the past. He is both an excellent engineer and a very mild manner, level headed individual. Some of the comments suggesting him to be an egoistic grand stander is so far from the truth that it is pretty shocking.

As per PeterJHill's postings, at the time of the quote, Kevin based his conclusion on the significant amount of data collected. It turned out subsequently the data themselves had been significantly 'edited' by the APs.

I think the members who were blasting Kevin may be having exactly the same problem. Are you sure what you read as to what Kevin had said was indeed exactly what he had said *and* with the complete context ??? I very much doult it. So wouldn't you be passing judgement based on faulty and incomplete data too?

MacAerfen

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2007

Lets look at some simple facts here on why the conclusion that it was apple fault.

First the iPhone was the devices struggling with their wireless network. Other devices where working just fine. That be laptops or window model devices. Palm I would suspect would not work on their network due to limitation in palm wireless software (palm fault)

Yet people here can not understand that fact. It a fact that the bug was caused by the iPhone not some other devices but the iPhone. When it ONLY the iPhone not working with the network then you are right the iPhone is going to eat the blame and any intelligent person should understand that fact well unless you are a fan boy or apple then well it still a true statement because intelligents goes out the window and you are no longer an intelligent person.

You really do not understand the basics of the issue. People are not upset because he blamed the iPhone. People are upset because he blamed the iPhone without knowing the facts. Regardless of whether the iPhone was the only device experiencing the issue is not the point. A responsible person does not blame a device publicly without being sure. It would be like accusing someone of a crime without evidence. Even the police do not arrest someone without evidence. And no, making assumptions is not an intelligent thing to do.

As per the difference in the way the iPhone handles networks I am surprised people are shocked about it. It is a new device. Immediately putting the blame on a new device simply because it operates differently than you expect it to is silly. Again it comes down to being thorough. You simply can not make assumptions about hardware until you have ensured what is the cause. Gut feeling only goes so far. Lets leave hardware for a second. Lets say you go to the doctor and say "I am feeling fatigued" and the doctor replies "you look healthy,so must be a problem with your heart, we better book you a double bypass surgery" without so much as taking your temperature. Would you simply accept that? It doesn't make sense there and it doesn't make sense in hardware troubleshooting. You wouldn't likely replace a $3000 dollar processor as your first step in troubleshooting just because it was new (the company that produced it wouldn't either until you satisfied them that it was in fact malfunctioning).

As for not knowing if the news site misquoted him. If they did its his responsibility to make them retract the statement or see to it that his true statement gets out there. As well if you are the only person that can speak to the press you need to be trained well enough that you do not state things that can be misquoted or taken out of context. Thats why many companies have a press consultant to ensure that that does not happen. This being a school they probably do not, but that just means its representatives need to be equally aware of what they say.

It's nice that you are defending your friend but in this situation he screwed up and is going to take the flak for it. If he can't handle it then he shouldn't be in the position.

leong1234

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2007
People are upset because he blamed the iPhone without knowing the facts. .... A responsible person does not blame a device publicly without being sure. It would be like accusing someone of a crime without evidence.

So, are you sure you know all the facts about Kevin? Or for that matter, sure it is Cisco and not iPhone now ... given I suspect you do not know the exact nature of the problem.

Are you sure you are not doing exactly what you said in the last sentence above?

leong1234

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2007
Most hosts flush their ARP cache whenever their network connection drops. The iPhone is seems to use previous ARP information to figure out if an SSID matches a previously connected wireless network. This is different than how most hosts work. Most hosts will associate with a wireless network, DHCP, then ARP for the default gateway. The iPhone is ARPing for a gateway that is not on the network and not being handed out by DHCP. That is different behavior.

Actually what the iPhone was doing is proper as per DNAv4, RFC 4436. The whole idea is to short cut the DHCP process which can be take a while (up to 7 seconds ... not milliseconds) particularly if you have to do ACD.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
One should never make a judgement unless the facts have been clearly laid out. Kevin saw an iPhone and considered it the problem. He did not research, nor did he assign someone enough time to research the problem thoroughly. Had he waited another day or two for more detailed information on the problem, the players in the problem, and the possible causes, none of this would have made any media.

A problem like this take quite a bit of effort to troubleshoot. Kevin was stuck in a bad position as being a person who legitimately could talk to the press, as an Associate Director, as well as probably the smartest Network Engineer there, even though that is not his title.
IMO, the first quote sums it up perfectly. Kevin was the one who put himself (and Duke) in this bad position.

If I were Kevin, the fact that I was the first to stumble across something "major" iPhone related would really make me want to have my facts straight before publicly blogging/commenting on it. "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
Fin

well, I am sure that we all believe what we all believe now... The consolation for me is that I know that in the real world of Internet engineers that Kevin remains highly respected. I know that all of this will have no long term impact on his reputation or career. He will have no troubles getting hired anywhere he would like to work. Feel free to argue those facts all you want, I have said my peace.

J. L., I will have to check out that RFC. I have some packet sniffs of an iPhone up here at UW. Next week I'd like to get a better packet dump by using a dedicated wireless sniffer and not just a span port on the uplink of an AP. Hope you are doing well JL.

It is funny that people say, well it is a new device and it might act different.. true, but there are still RFCs and IETF standards. If something does behave in bad ways (being generic here and not talking about any iProducts), it usually ends up getting banned from networks.

Goldenbear

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Los Angeles
...And your point? Whether a Mac or a PC sits on your desk has no significant bearing on how competent you are at your job.

So true.

My first thought was that he must have gotten mis-quoted. I mean, you'd have to be a complete idiot to deliberately piss off an major company (Duke) partner (Apple), before you knew all the facts. The so-called "Journalists" that are employed by the various web sites are not above playing fast and loose with quotes, in order to get more hits for their story.

However, according to this post, IF TRUE, he does seem to have an axe to grind with Apple:
http://www.macworld.com/forums/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Number=518796&page=0&vc=1

ctakim

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006

I consider myself to be above average intelligence and I cannot understand what you are trying to say at all!:confused:

ctakim

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
well, I am sure that we all believe what we all believe now... The consolation for me is that I know that in the real world of Internet engineers that Kevin remains highly respected. I know that all of this will have no long term impact on his reputation or career. He will have no troubles getting hired anywhere he would like to work. Feel free to argue those facts all you want, I have said my peace.

J. L., I will have to check out that RFC. I have some packet sniffs of an iPhone up here at UW. Next week I'd like to get a better packet dump by using a dedicated wireless sniffer and not just a span port on the uplink of an AP. Hope you are doing well JL.

It is funny that people say, well it is a new device and it might act different.. true, but there are still RFCs and IETF standards. If something does behave in bad ways (being generic here and not talking about any iProducts), it usually ends up getting banned from networks.

I'm glad you are such a big member of his fan club, but you do have to admit that he came out looking like a doofus. Yes, perhaps he was misquoted, although from what has been posted it is very hard to believe that he was completely blameless. And if he is so good at his job why was Duke the only major university to report this degree of problems? Okay, I will stop piling on. But this hardly qualifies as a stellar event to highlight on the resume. 'nuff said.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Yes, perhaps he was misquoted, although from what has been posted it is very hard to believe that he was completely blameless.
I wish I could figure out Google enough to show what was on his blog before all of this hit the media. AFAIK, his blog started it all, and how it's gone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.