Duke University iPod Program A "Mistake"...

Discussion in 'iPod' started by clayj, Apr 12, 2005.

1. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

... according to a staff editorial in Duke's very own "Chronicle" newspaper. Having read it, I gotta say I agree with them... iPods just aren't good classroom tools.

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Maybe it was a practical failure, but I think that overall it was a success for the university as an organization. They got lots of publicity and such out of it.

3. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Yeaahh but a University aint exactly in existence purely for publicity. Traditionally education takes a priority ;) unless of course it was the Uni I went to ....morons !! :mad:

4. Pismo macrumors 6502

Pismo

That's the problem with old fart professors. They never conform to new trends. The iPod can be a viable tool. I bought a Griffin iTalk to connect to my iPod so I could record the lectures when I was in college last year. Saved my butt a few times when I feel asleep.

I read on CNN.com that Duke is renewing the program with Apple and the students love it. Oh yeah, who gives a damn what the faculty thinks?

5. clayj thread starter macrumors 604

clayj

This editorial wasn't written by the faculty... it was written by STUDENTS. And their whole point is that renewing the program is a mistake, since the iPods have been terribly ineffective so far and, starting with next semester, they will only be given to people who enroll in particular courses (creating "iPod courses"), often for the wrong reason ("Ooh, I get an iPod if I sign up for Comparative Anthropology 101!").

6. roadapple macrumors regular

This never made sense to me...

"They got lots of publicity and such out of it" - This is Duke, not your local community college or SW State U.

"I bought a Griffin iTalk to connect to my iPod so I could record the lectures when I was in college last year. Saved my butt a few times when I feel asleep." - I used to tape my survey and history lectures with a micro tape recorder, then play them back if I needed to, that was 10 years ago.

iPods in the general classroom are not worth the cost, and can’t %95+ of Duke students afford one anyway?

7. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Ah, but you can never have too many iPods! After all, almost 20 percent of MR users have more than one!

8. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

site don't work.. can't dl it.. wah?

9. clayj thread starter macrumors 604

clayj

The link works fine for me, and I assume for everyone else who's posted here so far...

10. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

no problems here, either...what browser are you using?