Duke's Random Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Mr. Anderson, Jul 26, 2002.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Why, because I can.

But I did have a few interesting things I want to discuss anyway.

Last night I had an opportunity to go see some Shakespeare - preformed in a small Chapel at Georgetown U. (West Campus). Very cool Roaring 20s interpretation of 12th Night - great acting, even better original music done by one of the actors, which sort of brought the whole thing together. It was performed by students getting their Masters in Classical Acting - and let me tell you this could have been put on at the Shakespeare Theater in DC and it would have done well, it really was good.

They did have a few camios, though. None other than Fred Grandy - the former 4 term Congressman from Iowa played several roles - and some of you might know him as Gofer, from the Love Boat! Ha, he walked out and a not so silent mutterings could be heard from around the pews - he's not a bad actor actually.

And during intermission - a couple of us went up to the soccer field nearby and through the frisbee. But what made this special, is that it was an astroturf field. I'd never been on one before, and let me tell you I was surprised. Soft, springing and fast fast fast....I took off my shoes and sprinted full speed across the field and I was amazed at how fast I went and how good it felt. I would love to play ultimate on astroturf - it would be a totally different game.

D

2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

Re: Duke's Random Thread

til you slid on it and burned up your skin bad...

"threw" the frisbee eh old man??

ha

3. iGav macrumors G3

Re: Re: Duke's Random Thread

Too right...... it 'flamming' kills when you go for a tumble rhumble on it........ :eek: :eek: :D

4. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

through/threw you know what I was typing - at least is was spelled correctly :D

And no - no layouts for me on the turf - you'd need to do a fall/winter game with leggings and long sleeves. Still, the speed and eveness of the field was a wonder to run on. The places we play, Mall, P-Street Beach have many hazzards, ranging from sticks, holes, dog poop, glass, rocks, etc. that it can be iffy sometimes. And to actually get a spring on your step as your running full speed, awesome.

D

5. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Re: Re: Re: Duke's Random Thread

Not to mention its way easier to twist your ankle or have a leg injury. Astroturf grips and won't let go!!! :eek:

Taft

6. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Re: Re: Re: Duke's Random Thread

well, I was running barefoot, in a straight line. I did chase after the disk a couple times, but I still would like to see what a game would be like there.

7. iGav macrumors G3

Re: Re: Re: Re: Duke's Random Thread

I used to have a Astro football pitch behind where I used to live, but because it rains none stop in England between July all the way through to the following June, the Council poured sand all over it to give it some traction....... and you know what sand does to a ball bounce........ :(

But neat astro is a very, very quick surface........ :)

8. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

So I just got back from seeing Goldmember, and all I'll say is that everyone should see it if you liked anything Mike Meyers has ever done, like to laugh, or need a good distraction for a 90 minutes.

The jokes were great - the cameos were hysterical - the openning scene might have been the best one of the whole movie.

D:D