Dumb about vga-dvi adapters on old Apple LCD displays

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by California, Jul 2, 2006.

1. California macrumors 68040

California

I've got a chance to buy a couple of old flat screen Apple displays, 15 and 17 inch. I want one for myself -- to work with my 1.5ghz PB and the other for my business partner to work with her 1.33ghz iBook 12".

Does the little mini dvi cable that came with my computer work on those apple displays? Or do I need another connector?

Also, will my biz partner need a vga cable or what to connect to a screen?

I like these old time displays, I know they are now oldschool but they still look Apple cool to me.

Also, do I have to buy a keyboard and mouse? Will the iBook have to mirror or somethign with the display? Sorry so dumb.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

You have to establish which connector the Apple displays have. Most of the older ones have ADC connectors, which will not plug into DVI or MiniDVI or VGA or - dammit anything except an ADC video card - without expensive ($100+) adaptors that provide DC power as well as the video signal.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The really old translucent LCD displays used DVI, but around Summer 2000 -- they went ADC to clean up the cable mess.

Most of the older studio/cinema displays use ADC, unless you go really old school to the blue/grey clear plastic studio displays which use DVI.

http://www.everymac.com/monitors/apple/studio_cinema/index.html