Dumb ADIUM Question?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jason2811, Jul 5, 2006.

1. jason2811 macrumors 6502a

This is going to sound really stupid. But I'm having trouble with fonts in Adium. I can't figure out how to change my own font and let my buddies keep theirs. I go to PREFERENCE>MESSAGES>TEXT DISPLAY>SET FONT and I have show received message fonts and colors checked and I set it to century gothic and make it green. However, whenever I do this it seems to make my buddies fonts also green and century gothic. I want it so that I keep my own unique font and my buddies keep theirs. How do I do this?

Also, I haven't tried Adium since 2 week ago. Anyway, when I tried to IM someone today one of our old chats from 2 weeks ago appeared first. How can I make it so old chats never show up? Thanks.

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

That setting controls the font for the incoming text in the chat window. To change the font for the text you type, click the A button in the toolbar of the message window

3. jason2811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

but I don't want to click the A button in the toolbar everytime. is there a way to just set my font and color and have it always be that way? and how do I make sure that my buddies unique font and color always show?

4. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Yeah that Adium font issue pisses me off two. So I just forget about it and reformat everything to look nice with my skin i use.

5. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

I don't know if this is only in Adium 1.0 Beta.. but you can set a default font by clicking the button shown.

Attached Files:

6. evands macrumors member

It is indeed new in 1.0b. :)

7. jason2811 thread starter macrumors 6502a

so is this font is issue i'm speaking about actually a known problem with adium 0.89 or am I just stupid? and should I download Adium 1.0 Beta or are there a lot of problems with it? thanks.

8. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

If you want to disable the message history just go to preferences>advanced>message history and uncheck the box. Here is a picture:

Attached Files:

9. evands macrumors member

Font handling in 0.89 is less than perfect... but at least part of your problem is that you're setting the display font, for the messages view. See http://trac.adiumx.com/wiki/FontsAndColors for information on setting your own. Yes, it's not wholly intuitive. Yes, it's better in Adium 1.0 beta. No, it's still not perfect - time is, unfortunately, not infinite :)
    I can't answer that for you - certainly, it's the culmination of over a year of work and I personally am thrilled with it, but also, there are problems still being addressed, which is why it's a beta and not a release. Please be sure to back up your data before running a beta release.

10. buffalo macrumors 65816

my dumb Adium question...

Whenever I open up a message box in Adium, the background where I type is a dark blue making it hard to read. The background appears to be set to white, so how do I fix this?

[​IMG]

11. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

My only guess is format>show colors, otherwise, I couldn't tell you.

You could always resort to deleting your preferences, I doubt you'll want to do that though.

12. buffalo macrumors 65816

my next dumb question

Well I didn't have many preferences, so I went Format > Restore Default Formatting and that fixed my problem.

So now...
    I'm want to recreate my profile from AIM onto Adium. How do I add hyperlinks and different fonts. To get to the profile I'm going:

Adium > Preferences > Accounts > Edit > Personal

Am I going to the right thing?

13. evands macrumors member

Yes. You add both fonts and hyperlinks the same way you do in any OS X program, though Adium's hyperlink insertion is much better than the default. Take a look at the Format and Edit menus, or right click.

14. buffalo macrumors 65816

I never thought of doing that.

Thanks!

15. SkippyNL macrumors newbie

My dumb Adium Question part 2

Ok, I'm a brandspanking fresh Mac user.....since yesterday I have a Macbook YAY!!!!, but now my problem, I installed adium and today....it decided to lead its own life. It stopped showing the msn names and started only showing email addresses for all people in my buddy list.....how do I get it to stop doing that? it's highly annoying, I've tried everything. "show by alias, show by user" but I can't get it to show msn names anymore.
    please help me :S
    regards,
    SkippyNL

16. Maffoo macrumors newbie

I have the beta6 version released today and it doesn't have the set as default button.... I've tried the method shown on the Adium FAQ and it simply doesn't work.... The worl "help" springs to mind :(
    I've only had my Mac 2 or 3 days and its confuddling me...

17. keithbennis macrumors regular

keithbennis

I read somewhere that whatever font you set in Adium on your own cpu as your font, it comes out normal font on the other persons computer that you're talking to, not the font that you set..... anyone have any clarity to this?