Dumb ads - on Google no less...

Discussion in 'Community' started by pubwvj, Sep 21, 2005.

1. pubwvj macrumors 68000

pubwvj

Notebook for Women
    StyleBook-First notebook
    designed for women.
    Comes with designer bag.

That has got to be one of the dumbest advertisements I have ever seen. Like women are too dumb to consider more than the "designer" bag when they are choosing a computer? My wife, who uses a PowerBook Lombard, cracked up laughing. Function first, form second, designer bags last...

2. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Reinforcing stereotypical gender roles? I mean, what if the woman was into Harleys and KISS? Is it designed for her? Perhaps it should read "The first notebook designed for women that aspire to be cheap prosititutes that marry well in the vein of Paris Hilton."

3. pubwvj thread starter macrumors 68000

pubwvj

Yes, that was my thought. The amazing thing is the above ad is a real google ad that I've seen appear several times. I have to question the intelligence, or maybe their sense of self-worth, of anyone who would buy from these people - who's URL I did not list since I don't want to promote them in the slightest.

4. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

I expect the PC crowd to flock to this thread. If you don't think there is a demographic for that, you're not a marketer.

A huge demographic my friend. As loathsome as I thin k that woman is, there are million of young women who aspire to be just like her. As a marketer, I can't change this but I'd be remiss in my job if I wasn't targeting them.

5. katchow macrumors 6502

6. pubwvj thread starter macrumors 68000

pubwvj

Now there is an interesting twist. The display could turn into a mirror but instead of reflecting what they look like it could reflect what they want to look like. The computer would use something like Photoshop FL edition (For Ladies) to make them look like Kate Moss, Suzanne Summers, Petra Verkaik or their favorite star. A brave new world...

7. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

...who would want to look like any of those women? They all look kinda...
    well, let's say there are people that look a lot better.

Eh, maybe I just don't want to look like the thighmaster seller. :p