Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

supgraffix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Question...I just purchased an iphone the other day and I'm having trouble putting music on it. When I plug my iphone in and load up itunes it shows my iphone and when I expand it I see the music folder. However, when I try to drag and drop any songs from Library > Music into the iPhone > Music folder it doesn't do anything. None of these songs were purchased from the itunes store, but I didn't think that should matter. Is there something obvious that I'm missing? If I can only put music on my iphone that was downloaded from itunes I'm going to go walk out in front of a bus.
Thanks

cyclingplatypus

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Earth
Attach the phone and then click on it in iTunes, you'll see tabs at the top, go to music and select which playlist you want. :D

supgraffix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Yeah, I actually just figured that out, lol. So does this mean there is no way to drag and drop music, you just have to sync? That kind of sucks. This also means I have to put all of the music I want into playlists. Why didn't they just use the same functionality the ipod has where you can drap and drop from your Music Library? That is so much easier. Apple needs to get their sh*t together...

Ligibella

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2008
So I synced the playlist, but when I go to it on my i-mac, all the songs are grayed out and I cant seem to edit them there. How dumb that it doesnt have the same user friendliness that the ipod does. Am I able to delete songs on the actual iphone?

siufai

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2008
When you attach the iPhone, and you click on the iPhone name. Under the main summary tab you will see "manually manage music and video". Once you apply, you will be allowed to drag and drop.

sydgurley

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2008
Drag and Drop

Thank you for the drag and drop procedure-- I too have never been able to figure out how to do it on the IPHONE:):):)

dkorto2

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2009
putting music on

if you click manually manage music and videos it says that it will erase all of the songs on my phone and swap them with the songs on the computer. is there another way to put music on?

preguntonontrac

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2008
if you click manually manage music and videos it says that it will erase all of the songs on my phone and swap them with the songs on the computer. is there another way to put music on?

Te best way is to go to the library and there is a tick box in each song, unselect all those which you dont want on your iphone. After doing that with all your library go to summary and select sync only checked songs.

Bostonaholic

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
If I buy music through iTunes on my iPhone, when I sync to iTunes on the computer, will the music transfer to the computer as well or will they only be available on my iPhone? If so, I'm guessing they'll be .aac?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.