Dumb Question...Please Answer

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by makaveli, Nov 25, 2003.

1. makaveli macrumors newbie

I have noticed a lot of people saying to do a re-install of the OS when you first get the computer. I'm picking up a new ibook tomorrow and just wondered how to do that exactly. Can someone please show me the step by step process to do that? Also I heard it makes a big difference to caliberate your screen when you get it as well, can someone please tell me how to do that as well. Thank you very much in advance.

2. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

Just throw in your restore dvd, and hold down c during the boot.

At some point you choose your disc, and soon afterwords a little customize button shows up on the bottem left side. just click it, choose clean install or whatever ( I think it is called clean install ) and from there on it s extremely easy, just follow the instructions. Even my grandfather who hasn't used a computer in his life had no problems to install panther when he got his machine :)

congrats for your new machine

3. makaveli thread starter macrumors newbie

haha, thanks for the info! When I do a clean install of the OS, will i lose all the other software that is pre-installed? Sorry for all these dumb questions I just dont want to mess anything up. Thank you.

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i've not heard that, so i may be missing some crucial logic, but it doesn't seem to me like it would do much... the drive is already loaded just like it would be from the install CD... if you are hellbent on it, just pop the CD in and double click the "welcome to mac os" or whatever program on the CD... it will have you restart and begin... it guides you along.

as for calibration, there are both standard and expert options for this, found under the "display" pane in System Preferences. it guides you through it.

pnw

5. makaveli thread starter macrumors newbie

thanx a lot for the info, it should make things a lot smoother tomorrow.

6. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

wellwell,
    it seems like the machines being delivered got tons of stuff installed nobody actually needs. As X11 for instance. Most of the people don't need it, also isn't it frequent that many languages, voices and so on got installed. Perhaps the people want to exactly choose what they want on their computer.
    Perhaps they think it will be a bit faster. who knows.
    I have reinstalled mine as well. I don't know if it has changed something but well, at least I know what I got on it.

Hey, that's what we are here for :)

7. lmann macrumors member

Make sure that you only install the located files for your languages, this will make the installation process much faster. Do this by customizing the installation