Dumb question: where's iDVD?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by gundam, Jan 13, 2004.

1. gundam macrumors member

I switched to Apple and have had my 15" powerbook for a couple months. I was finally going to burn a DVD for the first time, when I discovered that iDVD seems nowhere to be found on my system. I have everything else in the iLife suite...isn't iDVD supposed to be bundled too?

*perplexed*

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I assume that you have a SuperDrive PowerBook (as you are going to burn a DVD). iDVD should be installed by default on all SuperDrive Macs. It is not installed otherwise (and does not work with other drives like external FireWire drives). It should be on your software restore disks. There are a few programs out there that let you extract the installer packages for individual programs if you don't want to re-install all of the bundled software.

3. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

yes it should be on there, no matter what powerbook you have. take a look at your restore disc and see if its on there. if your going to use idvd anyways you will want the new ilife 04' so just go buy it

iJon

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

You did perform a search for iDVD before you went looking for your software restore disks, right? And unless you moved it somehow, it should be in your Applications folder. If not, then go dig out the software restore disks.

5. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

If you are burning a data DVD you don't use iDVD. It's only for you iMovie/Final Cut movies. I don't know if this applies to you or not, but something in your original question made me wonder.

6. gundam thread starter macrumors member

This is a 15" with superdrive - or at least I paid for the superdrive model! there's no iDVD in my applications folder and Finder can't locate it either. It came loaded with Jaguar and I upgraded to Panther myself with the 10.3 CDs. Which would be the correct restore cd? There are 3 discs and the first one only gives me the option to restart my computer and begin the Panther installation process. Do I have to reinstall the entire OS? Why is it missing in the first place?

7. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

If you did a clean install of Panther then you wiped out your previous iDVD install. Did your computer come with an iLife DVD? Both of mine did. If not then it's on the software restore disks. They're the ones that say "software restore", not the ones that say OS X Panther. Software restore doesn't require a restart to begin.

8. gundam thread starter macrumors member

Hmm... I thought that iLife apps were bundled with the OS, since all the others are present after my Panther clean install.
    So I have to go back to my former Jaguar restore disks that shipped with the unit to somehow install iDVD only?

9. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

not idvd, but the others are.

iJon

10. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

yes idvd does not come on he panther discs , only the restore discs for your computer , use a program like Pacifier to look at the restore disc .pkgs and find the installer, or get an ilife on friday and it will be really simple.

11. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

iDVD has it's own install program on the install disc, there is no reason to use a program to extract it. All you do is pop the gray restore disc in and there is a menu with check boxes to each software program you want to restore. Just check iDVD and that's it. The OS upgrades don't include iDVD because it's over a gig in size and would require bundling even more CDs with every box when not every Mac has a DVD burner.