DUMB question :)

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by manito2000, Feb 15, 2005.

1. manito2000 macrumors member

I have a pretty dumb question. I just bought an Ibook 12" G4 yesterday. I am so new to apple, this is my first MAC. I am happy so far.

However, I have a question, yesterday when I went to the Apple Store I noticed that they have this corner with a sign overhead that says "genius." I noticed there are always several people there w/ their laptops? Anybody have any idea what goes on there?

I felt kinda dumb asking the salesperson yesterday...

Please enlighten me!

thanks...

Abe :D

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Hey, welcome!

The Genius bar is where you go for repairs or software help. Some stuff they repair in house, other things they ship off. The Geniuses are pretty well versed in all things Mac and can usually answer most questions.

Edit: as alluded to by jelloshotsrule, some Genius Bars are better staffed than others. The one at my local Apple Store is always a good resource, but I've heard mixed stories from others.

3. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

that's the "genius bar" where apple workers give technical assistance, etc. ie, it's where you go when something is wrong with your computer. there is a mix of skill levels represented there.

4. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

They're Apple techs if you have a problem go to them. Best to book first.

5. manito2000 thread starter macrumors member

Awesome! I don't have broadband or DSL, would this be a good place to get my software updates?

Abe

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Absolutely. At least at the store near me, they'll burn them to CD for free, although I suppose you could bring in your own CD-R just to be sure.

Edit: you could also probably go to the store, go to any Mac there, browse to http://www.apple.com/support/downloads, and burn the downloads yourself. But it's better to ask first!

7. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    The Apple Store's wifi network should be OK for getting your software updates from but not the Genius Bar specifically.

They are more for 'why does my Mac keep doing x?', helping to diagnose problems rather than phoning or sending off. They will help you learn how to maintain your Mac properly if you ask them.

8. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

It's where Jobs worshippers go for their Kool-Aid.

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

do they spike the Kool-Aid? if not i dont think it will be worth my time

the people i have met at the Apple stores so far have been very patient and helpful so dont be afraid to ask them questions and whatnot, they like to hire people that know about both windows and OS X so that they can help you transition over to OS X with ease

10. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

Prolly 'cause it came with the package :D

11. caribiner23 macrumors regular

caribiner23

If you find yourself in need of speaking to someone, the best thing to do is to go to Apple's web site, find your store under "Where To Buy," and reserve a spot in the Genius Bar queue. You'll save yourself hanging around and possibly making impulse purchases. :)

As others have mentioned, the quality of help does vary. My first visit to the Genius Bar at the Chicago-Michigan Avenue Apple Store started out with one of the guys snapping at me, "You need to sign in, Sir," when I pointed out that I was next in the queue. Without looking at me, he mumbled, "Oh." I asked if I should check in again and he mumbled again. I'm glad he wasn't the guy who helped me; the one who did was actually pretty friendly and knowledgeable.