Dumb Question

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by triton, Apr 2, 2004.

1. triton macrumors regular

Hi,

Just a stupid question. I've used apple's plenty of times in my life, and I love them to death. However, I have never done a reinstall of a system before. Here's my question - I want to upgrade my parents computer from OS X to OS X Jaquar. However, there is too much crap on their computer, and they just want to start all over again. :eek:

So I'm heading to the apple store tonight to buy jaquar - after purchasing the full version, how do I go about installing it over everything else? :confused: Once I insert the disk, is there an option to do a fresh install, without bringing any of the old files or programs over?

Thank you for your help!

2. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

Yes, the installer has three options:
    *Erase and install: Format the disk and then install (what you want)
    *Archive and install: Archive the previous system and install a new one, keeping all user data and applications intact.
    *Upgrade: Modifies the current system (but can potentially cause problems)

BTW, does the computer have USB ports? If it does, I'd strongly recommend upgrading to Panther instead, otherwise, stick with Jaguar.

3. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

that should be altered to say factory original usb. if its a beige G3 or older with a usb pci card then you will have to stick with jaguar. just want to save him any confusion.

4. triton thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for your help. I am actually installing all of this to a g4 imac machine. And I actually meant to say I wanted to install Panther! arggh. How much does the full version run at? $129? :confused:

5. xRob2k4x macrumors newbie

Look for a *cough free version on the *cough net maybe ;-)

6. triton thread starter macrumors regular

7. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

buy the software!!!! don't steal...but if you are a student (or educator) you can get it for something like $69. Try eBay too if you like, but buy the stuff, we want apple to continue to make great software.

8. dukemeiser macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

There is no such thing as a stupid question. Just stupid people who ask questions. :D

But please, don't bootleg a copy. It will come back to bite you in the end. There's always that chance you could get caught. Would you really want your parents to get in legal trouble for having pirated Panther?