Dumb to buy a 15" PB now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by munckee, Apr 16, 2006.

  1. munckee macrumors 65816

    Oct 27, 2005
    Here's my situation. I have a maxed out 12" PB that I've had for about a month. It does what I need it to, but I still manage to run it hard enough to get beach balls, etc. I also find the screen space pretty small when I'm on the road. The warranty is up soon, and I'm debating between spending the money on the applecare or selling the 12" and upgrading to a 15"

    I figure the 15" will cost about $1700 with 1.5gb of ram (newest revision with a full warranty).

    I don't want an MBP because the glitches scare me and because most of my time is spent on CS which won't be available for a while. I figured whatever I do, I'll upgrade in about a year or so.

    So do I spend the $250 (edu discount) on applecare or spend the cash to upgrade to the 15"?
  2. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816


    Nov 21, 2004
    Washington, D.C.
    Honestly, it would be dumb. Especially because the MBPs are out. I'd don't know what to do though, if your PB isn't working out for you. I'd say wait for a Rev. B, but you need something now. Did you consider a desktop?
  3. generik macrumors 601


    Aug 5, 2005

    If you can't afford the MBP, seriously, MacOS or not a Core Duo from Dell at ~ $1200 will handle all the anti spyware/anti virus applications you need to make Windows a comfy experience even!
  4. munckee thread starter macrumors 65816

    Oct 27, 2005
    Um, why the heck would I get rid of my powerbook for a windows box?

    There are only two choices here: keep the 12" and buy AC for it or sell it and buy the 15" powerbook.

    A desktop is out of the question because I'm a freelancer and need to be able to carry my computer. A windows box is out of the question because I see no need to spend money on something that's worse than what I already have.
  5. crazydreaming macrumors 6502a


    Apr 17, 2005
    Salt Lake City, UT -Westminster College
    I don't think it's dumb if it is significantly cheaper for the PB as opposed to the Macbook Pro.

    I have a freind who is a photographer who recently bought a powerbook because he needs it to run all the apps which aren't universal yet. After owning it for a few weeks he is very happy with the performance.

    It depends on how long you are looking to keep it I guess.
  6. Platform macrumors 68030


    Dec 30, 2004
    MBP......may cost you more now, but it will save you in the long run ;)
  7. FFTT macrumors 68030


    Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    I would hold off just a bit until the MacBooks are released, then either go for
    the clearance priced PB or upgrade to a MacBook Core Duo knowing all your options.
  8. munckee thread starter macrumors 65816

    Oct 27, 2005
    Man, you guys just aren't with me on this one. I'm NOT buying a macbook. I'm already pushing the performance of my powerbook, I don't see a macbook (core duo or not) handling non-universal applications much better. I don't want a Revision A machine (hence, I'm NOT buying a MBP either).

    The question was simply whether to put a bit more money into a slightly less than ideal machine (the 12" PB) or put a chunk more money down and get the 15" PB.

    Regardless, I think you've helped me answer my question. Thanks.
  9. Twinkie macrumors regular

    Feb 9, 2005
    Milford, MI
    Maybe it's because the answer is a clear "Yes, it isn't a good idea to buy any PPC system unless you absolutely need to use programs that will not be Universal for a while (or ever)."

    Here's how I read your original post:
    "Hey guys, I've maxed out my month-old 12" PowerBook. I do things with it that push the limits of the G4 processor.

    Now, to overcome this, should I buy an extended warranty, or should I try and sell what I have so I can buy basically the same hardware with a bigger screen?

    By the way, is this a dumb idea? I don't really care if it is or not, because I'm going to flatly refuse to take the only alternative route available to me."

    Your core problem is that you're pushing the specs of your system. How getting AppleCare or an extra 3" of screen space will fix that is a mystery.
  10. mchendricks macrumors member

    Jul 17, 2002
    Central Florida
    If you have the most current 12 inch PB, then the answer is :

    No, the 15" PB will not be that much better. Spend the money on AC and be done with it.

    If you have an old PB, then:
    YES, get the newest 15"PB G4 and be happy. It will serve you for the next couple of years without a problem (speaking about software).

  11. jefhatfield Retired


    Jul 9, 2000
    he spends his time in cs and the intel macs cannot work with the suite natively

    and he's at the cusp of applecare and having his regular one year warranty run out

    intel macs are fine though buggy in their first revision which is normal, i have one, but if you want to do cs, you may have to wait a whole year before that gets native which is the only way to run it...if i want to run cs on the intel imac right away natively, i can buy windows and get an adobe cs for windows

    adobe, being the company they are, makes great versions of their software which works with ppc macs and pcs and pcs of late have been fine with adobe products...but of course, we all remember some years back when windows was not working with adobe
  12. puckhead193 macrumors G3


    May 25, 2004
    if all your considering is upgrading to a 15" PB G4... i wouldn't expect a great deal of performance from your current machine from the new 15"
  13. munckee thread starter macrumors 65816

    Oct 27, 2005
    :rolleyes: Gee I dunno, I was sorta figuring the extra video ram and the ability to add another 3/4gb of ram to it might do a little something as well.

    Or how about the second half of that original question: "I need more screen space when using my powerbook without the external monitor that I have at home."

    Or the part that said that most of my workload comes from Adobe CS, which won't be universal until something like 2007?

    And you're damn right I'm going to flatly refuse to take the only alternative route when that route consists of a Rev. A system with widespread problems being reported. Yeah, if the MBP came out and was a gem I'd probably buy one. As it stands, I'm waiting until they get the glitches worked out and until CS is universal. I figure by then it'll be a safer investment all the way around.
  14. munckee thread starter macrumors 65816

    Oct 27, 2005
    Thanks for the responses guys. We can stop beating the horse now, its dead. Sorry for attempting to revive it for a little while there. I think I've decided to hang onto my 12" and just grab the AC for it. I'd rather put out as little money as possible right now and save that for when I'm ready to buy a MBP. Unless I find a great deal on a used 15" in the next couple of days that will allow me to take advantage of the bigger screen without much cost..
  15. Twinkie macrumors regular

    Feb 9, 2005
    Milford, MI
    The extra VRAM isn't going to do much for you at all, if your big push is using CS. And it would have been helpful to have said that you were planning on maxing out the RAM.

    Okay, so you've answered your own question. Why did you bother posting :confused:

    You mean the part I addressed in the very first line?

    I'm reasonably sure it was posted here that they're up to rev. D already. But that aside, you've answered your own question... so why did you post?

    Again... you've answered your own question...
  16. munckee thread starter macrumors 65816

    Oct 27, 2005
    Just to piss you off. :D
  17. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

    Mar 30, 2004
    That's Week 4. To call it "Rev. D" is erroneous. :p

    OP, I'm selling my used and maxed 17", FYI.
  18. YS2003 macrumors 68020


    Dec 24, 2004
    Finally I have arrived.....
    I am planning to transition to Intel Mac (MBP or Intel PM) in early next year so so, as the current Adobe/Macromedia programs are optimized for Power PC architecture. I just feel G4 and G5 based Mac will do the jobs for next few more yeras nicely. I admit Intel chips will speed up upcoming new Macs significantly but the real world speed would depend on what applications you are running until the main applications transition toward the universal binary. I feel current PB is the proven technology in general (all af my PBs and iBook are working flawless to this day), while there are so many reported issues with the Rev A MBP. I think I am timing my MBP purchase at the time when Leopard comes out early next year.
  19. miniConvert macrumors 68040


    Mar 4, 2006
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
    Keep your 12" and take out AppleCare. Sure, the screen area is no doubt a bit tiny, but they're very portable and at the end of the day that's what a laptop should be. I'm guessing portability was one of the big reasons why you bought it in the first place?

    Save yourself the hassle of getting yet another machine for when you switch to Intel.
  20. yoda13 macrumors 65816


    Sep 26, 2003
    Keep the 12" and get apple care. Wait until the CS suite will run native on intel hardware for Mac and then it should be at least revision B and then upgrade. That is what I would do.:)
  21. m-dogg macrumors 65816


    Mar 15, 2004
    No, it isn't dumb. I just ordered a refurb 15" PB myself. I got it for $1400 (w/ a $200 promo I had). No, it's not as cutting edge as the MBP, but it wasn't as expensive either. It will be perfect for what I need, so I'm happy with my decision.

    Given your situation, it makes sense for you to stay with a powerbook too. You need a program that won't be universal for a while, and you plan to upgrade in a year or so anyway. By that time, CS should be universal. And by then the new Merom MBP's will likely be out, so you can get a better Intel-based machine and not be a MBP beta tester...

    Have you looked at eBay to see what your 12" PB model is selling for to see what your true out-of-pocket cost would be if you were to upgrade to the 15"? Then you can weigh that against the increased processor, RAM, VRAM & screen real estate capabilities.

    Ignore the knee-jerk reactions of some on this board to say 'get the MPB' whenever 'buy' and 'powerbook' get mentioned in the same sentence...
  22. FFTT macrumors 68030


    Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    The only reason I posted to wait for the MacBook release, was so that you could take advantage of the PB clearance sale price drop, if it's enough to
    justify the upgrade.
  23. Eluon macrumors regular

    Apr 14, 2005
    Spring, Texas
    I don't understand how someone can be rude when asking for advice. These people are throwing out ALL kinds of options and routes for you to take. Be your own person and MAKE YOUR OWN DECISIONS.

    Also, you hear a lot about people having problems with their MacBook Pro, but that is because most people - like me - who are enjoying and having no dang problem at all aren't taling about it. It WORKS. It's like people think these laptops are the gimps of the market because some people can't stand the computer to be imperfect in the slightest way - and trust me, I spent the 3 grand on mine as well. They are machines.

    If you don't like people's advice, don't be rude, and most importantly, don't ask for it. ridiculous
  24. aquajet macrumors 68020

    Feb 12, 2005
    Refurbished 15" PowerBooks show up on Apple's special deals page every now and again for $1399. That's for a 1.33ghz model with combo drive. Depending upon which 12" model you've got, you could sell it and pay a few to several hundred dollars to upgrade.

    What are the specs on your 12" anyways?
  25. Beck446 macrumors regular

    Jul 16, 2003
    Exactly. Well said.

Share This Page