Dumb Windows question...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AlBDamned, Feb 7, 2007.

1. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Here's a really easy question for any Windows users: how the hell do you join a hidden wireless network using this damn OS?

On a Mac you just click the airport symbol in the menu bar and choose "other" but I can't see where to do it with Windows.

I'm talking about XP here by the way, not that crappy new one that I keep seeing on TV...

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

there is a wireless icon in the taskbar, just double click it, will be a pop-up to tell u the networks around. u can pick one with strongest signal and join.
    [​IMG]

Btw, they are not "hidden"

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

There are no dumb questions about Windows, Windows is just dumb! ;) :D :cool: :apple:

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

depends:) :rolleyes: ;) :p

5. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Some are hidden. If the network does not broadcast its SSID (like my home network, it will not show up in that list.

What you want to do is click the "change order of preferred networks". You then have to add a preferred network with the configuration of the hidden network you want to join.

6. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Yep, my network's SSID is not broadcast, but I've only recently set it up and when my girlfriend tried to join it on her Windows laptop she couldn't see it and I had no idea how to solve the problem!

Sorted it now though. Thanks Yippy :)