dumb xserve question....

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by kwikdeth, Nov 28, 2003.

1. kwikdeth macrumors 6502a

okay, this may sound like a dumb question:
    can the xserve run the regular (non server) version of Mac OS X?
    since i had to work today (for really no reason) and im quite bored, i was entertaining the idea of consolidating my home studio setup, and the idea of using an x-serve in the rack for all audio purposes would be kind of appealing. i don't need any classic apps, just the regular X. I casually looked around and couldn't find any specific information about it. but it would be really cool for a lot of reasons, mainly having an immense amount of power in a (somewhat) portable rack case, running a couple MOTU firewire audio interfaces... ooooh, neato.

but anyway, thanks for any answers you fine folk can offer up.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I don't see any reason why not, however some of the hardware features (fibre channel?) may not work without the server version.

3. lduncan macrumors member

OS X Server behaves fairly similar to the client version, in that you can run all os X apps on it no problem, the difference is it comes bundled with a lot of usefull gui server management tools. And since os X server comes with the xserve why bother using the client version?

4. kwikdeth thread starter macrumors 6502a

see, ive never used OS X server so i have no idea what it's like... I had been inclined to believe it was some strange hybrid of X with more command-line stuff. But if regular OS X apps (in this case, digital performer 4 and reason, plus some other things) can run in OS X server, than there's no problem...
    but it would be good to know if i could load regular client X on it, just in case there is some problem......

(now imagine an xserve with a TC electronic powercore, Waldorf AFB16, and presonus firestation in a 4-space rack... ooooh brushed aluminum goodness... yeah im a style geek in addition to tech. take the front off the rack and be blinded by the reflection of the room lights off the front panels) (i told you i was bored)

thanks guys....

5. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

I assume fibre channel is supported in the client version of at least 10.2.4 or later as it is included as a BTO option on the G5 PM and was also available on later G4's if memory serves.

6. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

I love dumb questions!

Ofcourse you can use the normal os X on a Xserve. But if you are going to use it for audio, isn't the Xserve a little bit tooooooo noisy?!?! If the Xserve is in the same room where you listen to the music, you probably hear the fans blowing! You could better use a G5 or Imac. If the Xserve is in another room, then it wouldn't be a problem. BTW a G5 has more audio in and out ports that could come in handy and you can put more easily expand it with another 3 audio cards!

7. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

The Xserve will not run anything other than Mac OS X Server. For production, at the moment, you're better of with a G5.