dumb xserve question....

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by kwikdeth, Nov 28, 2003.

1. kwikdeth macrumors 6502a

Feb 25, 2003
    Tempe, AZ
    okay, this may sound like a dumb question:
    can the xserve run the regular (non server) version of Mac OS X?
    since i had to work today (for really no reason) and im quite bored, i was entertaining the idea of consolidating my home studio setup, and the idea of using an x-serve in the rack for all audio purposes would be kind of appealing. i don't need any classic apps, just the regular X. I casually looked around and couldn't find any specific information about it. but it would be really cool for a lot of reasons, mainly having an immense amount of power in a (somewhat) portable rack case, running a couple MOTU firewire audio interfaces... ooooh, neato.

but anyway, thanks for any answers you fine folk can offer up.
  2. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    I don't see any reason why not, however some of the hardware features (fibre channel?) may not work without the server version.
  3. lduncan macrumors member

Jun 17, 2003
    ChCh New Zealand
    OS X Server behaves fairly similar to the client version, in that you can run all os X apps on it no problem, the difference is it comes bundled with a lot of usefull gui server management tools. And since os X server comes with the xserve why bother using the client version?
  4. kwikdeth thread starter macrumors 6502a

Feb 25, 2003
    Tempe, AZ
    see, ive never used OS X server so i have no idea what it's like... I had been inclined to believe it was some strange hybrid of X with more command-line stuff. But if regular OS X apps (in this case, digital performer 4 and reason, plus some other things) can run in OS X server, than there's no problem...
    but it would be good to know if i could load regular client X on it, just in case there is some problem......

(now imagine an xserve with a TC electronic powercore, Waldorf AFB16, and presonus firestation in a 4-space rack... ooooh brushed aluminum goodness... yeah im a style geek in addition to tech. take the front off the rack and be blinded by the reflection of the room lights off the front panels) (i told you i was bored)

thanks guys....
  5. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

Oct 25, 2003
    Leeds, England
    I assume fibre channel is supported in the client version of at least 10.2.4 or later as it is included as a BTO option on the G5 PM and was also available on later G4's if memory serves.
  6. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Jul 22, 2002
    Almere, The Netherlands
    I love dumb questions!

Ofcourse you can use the normal os X on a Xserve. But if you are going to use it for audio, isn't the Xserve a little bit tooooooo noisy?!?! If the Xserve is in the same room where you listen to the music, you probably hear the fans blowing! You could better use a G5 or Imac. If the Xserve is in another room, then it wouldn't be a problem. BTW a G5 has more audio in and out ports that could come in handy and you can put more easily expand it with another 3 audio cards!
  7. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

Jul 18, 2002
    The Xserve will not run anything other than Mac OS X Server. For production, at the moment, you're better of with a G5.