Dumbest Complaint about an iPod

Discussion in 'iPod' started by TEG, May 24, 2005.

1. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

My Roommate and a mutual friend, both Industrial Engineering Student here at University, made probably the dumbest complaint about the iPod EVER.

in

"You have to buy all that stuff to go with it."

Now mind you, I have a 3G-40GB iPod, it has a dock, remote, FireWire cable, and power adapter. I have purchased an iTrip, iTalk, and the iBeams. However, they both think that an iPod should have an integrated Speaker, Microphone, flashlight, and laser pointer. I nearly collapsed as the moronic comment hit my ears. I tried to explain how every-single-thing you MUST have is included, and I only added thing, from one of the 3rd party companies (all Griffin Technology I might add) to help it to fit my needs. However they continued to claim that Apple didn't include those features, so Apple could push out their own extras and milk more money out of the people who bought the iPod. This was the first time I EVER lost my temper talking about the iPod, thankfully, we were all heading in opposite directions otherwise, someone would have had a bloody nose.

BTW, I currently use my iPod to record my classes at university, and while in biology this came up. I did go out and buy the parts for an iPod Battery (in an Altoids Tin) and that seemed to be where this started.

I needed to share this, and guage your reactions.

TEG

2. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

You don't have to :rolleyes:

HAHA, as soon as I got to the flashlight, that made me laugh. Before you know it, people are going to say, "the iPod sucks, it doesn't come with a built-in stove"

Ok ok, maybe that's over doing it a bit, but it goes to show you of how silly these complaints are.

Although that click-wheel does look like a stove......nahhhhhh ;)

3. verozov macrumors regular

verozov

lol u no what i hate about refridgerators? u have to buy all that food to go in them...

of course they don't include accessories because not everyone needs a laser pointer, just like not everyone wants Soy milk in their fridge...

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

no you dont need to have all those features, apple kept it simple, and thats why it is a success. some people need to have their cake and eat it too

5. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

geez, that 'pod must look like a tank when you have all those accessories attatched to it.

my 40 gig photo feels like a tank in my pocket alone, and i cant imagine it with anything else on it what so ever.

LUCKY YOU! (well at least you arent bothered by the accessories)

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Talking of iPod ignorance, I was just at an Apple reseller paying for a Mac (which still hasn't arrived, but that's another story) and this guy next to me was trying to buy an iPod. He mentioned how he wanted to go travelling overseas with it and the shop assistant told him an iPod can't go overseas. The guy asked why and the assistant replied that it has to stay near a single computer. :confused:

I think he meant that you're only allowed to use one computer to update songs from but to be honest, who knows...

I didn't have time to tell him otherwise, but isn't that the single weirdest excuse for not buying an iPod! And it was from the guy working at an Apple reseller, no less.

Sorry, just thought I'd share.

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

sometimes i think this is why apple is leary of resellers, because they cant make sure they know what they are talking about

8. Hugh Jass macrumors newbie

You should have corrected the resller right there in front of the customer. Make him look like the idiot he is. How did the reseller know the customer didn't have an iBook/PB? He should have at least pointed out the power adapter tip package for travelling to other countries.

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I was already quarter of an hour late for a lecture so corrections were not gonna happen. I did interject just to say he was wrong but the reseller just looked at me strangely. :(

10. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

sorry but

The difference between a student and a graduate is dreaming and reality.

Sure it would be nice if the iPod had all those extras, but then it would be huge and cost $700, and no one would buy it.

Not everyone needs all the extras, so why charge them $100s more for features that they will never use.

The whole point of the iPod is to be a music player, then you can add only the accessories that you need, why pay more for the extras that you will never use.

May I suggest that you friends find a new major, or get a job at Creative in order to run them out of business?

In the real/corporate world, logic and economics out weigh the "wouldn't it be cool if we could add this" factor.

Second thought,
    It might be good for your friends to enroll in economics 101, and learn how business and the world works outside their CAD lab.

peace

11. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

Oh come on, a music player with speakers?

The walkman didn't have speakers! No personal, portable music player has speakers. Thats the liberating joy of private listening.

Anyway, could you imagine the size? iPod Housebrick

I can almost see the advertisement posters. Y'know, instead of the usual dancing adverts, we could have somebody pushing a wheelbarrow uphill...

12. iGary Guest

iGary

13. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

I personally find it a little sad that you might be willing to give your friend a bloody nose over an iPod argument. Sorry.

14. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

'
    Pfttttt hahahaha, yeah I think that would suit their needs. It probably fits in the right price range. But the most important question is...... how good is the battery life?

15. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

its not the fact that it is an iPod issue that makes things so annoying, but rather the fact that people are so ignorant of things and pretend to know it all. i know many many people just like that, and i just want to smack them upside thier heads for being retarded (i'm not trying to say anything about your friends though TEG)

16. slu macrumors 68000

slu

Well, I guy I work with said he wouldn't get an iPod (he has the previous version 20 GB Dell DJ), even though they are smaller and easier to use because:

"The iPod is too trendy"

17. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Well it is not a iPod complaint, but it is a Mac. I have this ignorant friend that keeps on saying, " Oh wait a Mac can't right click." I keep on telling him you just have to press control-click or just go buy a 2 button mouse. But, he keeps on saying that. I feel like knocking him to reality too.

18. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Two funny things I have hear:
    It doesn't work with the iTunes music store, I think it can only play on my computer.
    After the battery runs out I can't replace it, whats the point of an MP3 player that you can only use for 12 hours then you can never use it again.

19. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    the real question is is that the only color it comes in

20. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

Wait this is the mini version?

I wonder what the regular size version looks like, and what it's features are.

21. TEG thread starter macrumors 604

TEG

Well that was why I had that reaction. It is just the sheer stupidity of that comment. Not to mention that I constantly use my PowerBook to out power them in Gaming (Unreal Tournament 1), video (playing videos on the TV), and running everything *I* want to run, from Matlab to Rollercoaster Tycoon, to EV Nova, M$ Office, and host them for wireless gaming. Yet they still complain about the single button mouse, and that I have no games. I have to keep reminding them that I have a 4-year old system, and only have the games I like. (Of course I have a 5-button mouse, but use the trackpad on occasion.)

Breathe, Breathe, Breathe.

TEG

22. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Nope, in the corporate world, "creeping featuritis" is a real problem. I hope Apple can keep their iPods minimalist but any other company would have added a ton of features, none of which would work properly.

We have the same problem at work with the email software we're writing,. Some senior manager thinks it would be cool to have some feature (that only he and his wife would use) so demands it be offered. We (the developers) push back and say we should get the current features working right. After a couple of weeks of "discussions" our immediate manager tells us that he's been told that we're rocking the boat and no one's expendable these days, so we waste weeks, working 12 hour days, implementing the new feature and have to do the new release still with bugs from two releases ago since we haven't had time to fix them because the release date is set in stone.

Phew, I didn't realise how pissed off I was about that until just now ...

23. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

I can't believe someone actually bought one of those ibeams.

24. iPodMechanic macrumors newbie

25. VicMacs macrumors 6502

you got those at ipodmechanic.com?

is that a screened ishuffle?