Dummy book

Discussion in 'macOS' started by X5-452, Apr 25, 2006.

1. X5-452 macrumors 6502

X5-452

I've been admiring macs from afar for about 2 years now, so I've decided to buy the new MacBook whenever it becomes available. However, it will be my first Mac, and the first time I ever use Mac OS X. As such, I was wondering if I should purchase some sort of Tiger book, along the lines of "Mac OS X for Dummies" or something like that. Or would it be better to just wing it? I'm fairly adept when it comes to Windows PC's, but like I said, it'll be my first time with OS X.

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

3. X5-452 thread starter macrumors 6502

X5-452

Thanks. I was looking at that very same book a few weeks ago. Since it focuses on Tiger, does it touch on all things OS X, or just new features in Tiger?

4. kineticpast macrumors member

I personally don't think you need any books, at least not before you've had a play around first.

I grew up with Windows, but within 20 minutes of booting up the Mac I felt very comfortable. The OS is just much easier to use and generally the GUI is quite intuitive. You'll really only need a book if you eventually want to go hacking up your system, and even then you can easily find any info you need for free on the web.

To ease your transition even more you might want to use a multi-button mouse so you have the context menu on right-click like Windows, though I got used to Command-clicking in that first 20 minutes too (actually, in my first few weeks of usage I actually had two mouses plugged in and just used which ever my hand fell on and never had any issues, my left hand just knew whether it had to reach for Command or not! Funnily the only time my left hand would play up was when I was back on Windows machines, it kept on reaching for Control! :D).