Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XNine

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Okay, so I've had a couple of domain names for a while. I want to start working on a site, get back into art and display it on this site. A testament to what I could have been in the industry had I kept pursuing my interests instead of giving up.

A few questions:
1. I have the domain names at godaddy.com Can I host the actual websites from a different web host other than godaddy?

2. Linux is possibly the best for uptime, right?

3. What would I use mysql and PHP for?

4. What's the easiest way to make good looking sites without knowing jack about web-based coding (html/xhtml/css/etc.)?

5. I'm looking at going with 1and1.com for my hosting needs if I can webhost on a different location than where my domain name is parked. They have a Linux hosting plan for 2.99 a month? Does this look alright?

Thanks a ton. I know you're all snickering behind closed curtains at me. (who the hell doesn't know web-programming these days?!?!?!) ;)

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
1. Most web host allows you to specify the domain name servers to your account. You just need to link this back to GoDaddy.

2. It depends, I would say a well maintained server has the most up-time. Stuff like regular updates, patching, turning off unnecessary services so on.

3. MySQL and PHP coupled with linux servers are one of the most popular combinations online now (LAMP). It can be used for quite a wide range of web portals. Most of the time, they are used to build dynamic online sites - like this one.

4. I would say using WYSIWYG programs such as Dreamweaver/Fireworks or Photoshop/Imageready/GoLive.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Onizuka said:
Okay, so I've had a couple of domain names for a while. I want to start working on a site, get back into art and display it on this site. A testament to what I could have been in the industry had I kept pursuing my interests instead of giving up.

A few questions:
1. I have the domain names at godaddy.com Can I host the actual websites from a different web host other than godaddy? - can webhost on a different location than where my domain name is parked?
Yes.
The domain registration is separate from where you choose to host the site. When you are ready to make a site live, you go back to the registrar, and change the primary Domain Name Server (DNS) to the server of your web host's system. You usually have to notify the web host company as well, so they can make the internal entry pointing that domain name to your correct folder

Onizuka said:
2. Linux is possibly the best for uptime, right?

You don't care. That's the ISP's job to maintain the architecture. Research the ISP to see if they are reliable.

Onizuka said:
3. What would I use mysql and PHP for?
MySQL is a database. You can use it and PHP for, well, databases, and all of the dynamic things you can do with databases like forums and shopping carts and searchable, threaded, dated or sortable things, and suchlike.

Onizuka said:
4. What's the easiest way to make good looking sites without knowing jack about web-based coding (html/xhtml/css/etc.)?
Well the EASIEST way is to use premade templates (your ISP may provide some, or not) and just plug in your information. Whether or not they are good looking is a matter of chance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.