Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mergemedia

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2007
USA
I'm currently a verizon wireless carrier, and I will admit that I find the iPhone irresistable. I absolutely must have one, and will probably be jumping ship from verizon wireless to cingular as soon as the iPhone is actually available.

Question. Is anybody else planning on dumping their current wireless carrier and moving over to cingular because of the iPhone?

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
make a poll,

im with cingular now, so no jump. :D , plus, no money for iphone anyway.

NoCleverSNForMe

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2003
Hell yes!

Hell yes! I am going to pay that $200 termination fee and sell my Blackberry. I am pre-ordering an iPhone as soon as it appears on the Apple Store page.

That's the thing: the product is so innovative (you really have no idea unless you've used a Blackberry, Treo, Windows Mobile device on a regular basis and synced it with your Mac) that I really don't care what network it's on.

I live in the Northern Virginia area; every company basically works here. I've used all four major ones and had no problems with any of them (besides customer service from Verizon and Sprint). I guess I'm lucky compared to others on this board.

aksmax

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2002
Early adopter, but not a bleeder...

I agree it's a must have. Too cool to resist. So here's my plan.

Give it a month to make sure they don't blow up or crash consistently or suck in some unforseen way. Then buy one as a new phone, make sure it fits my 'life'. I much prefer my Motorola flip 815 to my work Blackberry 7100g, for size, shape, service and feature reasons. And unfortunately, the iPhone is probably more like the BB, generally speaking.

If it does fit me, I cancel Verizon (after 6 satisfactory years) and move over to Cingular officially.

Biggest question is...can I move over my longstanding Verizon number to Cingular AFTER having opened the Cingular contract. Why do I think not???

Incidentally, I'm unsold on the iPod features. I have a nano for the gym and an oldish iPod Photo 60GB to fit everything, for travel and the car. The iPhone has Nano capacity, but iPod bulk, sort of. So, that part doesn't really excite me. It's the rest that I'm after, and frankly they could leave the iPod out and make it cheaper and probably smaller.

Shaduu

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2007
Southsea
Depends who the european carrier is, but if it's Vodafone I'm good to go. I'd assume the iPhones european carrier wll be Vodafone though as they have the best network covering all of Europe.

Cinch

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2005
I want to do it, but Cingular is not available where I live (Montana). I have to live with Verizon for now. What can I do except wait for whichever comes first.
iPhone on Verizon network and/or Cingular in Montana

Cinch

Cinch

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2005
I agree it's a must have. Too cool to resist. So here's my plan.

Give it a month to make sure they don't blow up or crash consistently or suck in some unforseen way. Then buy one as a new phone, make sure it fits my 'life'. I much prefer my Motorola flip 815 to my work Blackberry 7100g, for size, shape, service and feature reasons. And unfortunately, the iPhone is probably more like the BB, generally speaking.

If it does fit me, I cancel Verizon (after 6 satisfactory years) and move over to Cingular officially.

Biggest question is...can I move over my longstanding Verizon number to Cingular AFTER having opened the Cingular contract. Why do I think not???

Incidentally, I'm unsold on the iPod features. I have a nano for the gym and an oldish iPod Photo 60GB to fit everything, for travel and the car. The iPhone has Nano capacity, but iPod bulk, sort of. So, that part doesn't really excite me. It's the rest that I'm after, and frankly they could leave the iPod out and make it cheaper and probably smaller.

I think you made some really good points, especially the flip phone idea. Flip phones sell better than non-flip for a reason. I think the KRZR is a compelling flip phone, and I'm actually considering buying one.

When I switch from Sprint to Verizon, they wouldn't let me keep my phone number because they said that where I used to live there were no Verizon service. The technical detail of this is confusing to this day, and I didn't raise a fuss then.

I think the most important feature that the iPhone needs to have is its ability to fit into my pocket (jacket most of the year). Although, I can see the appeal for women if the iPhone is relatively large.

Personally, I think Apple should make a phone that is compact while listening to music and snaps out like the phone that you see in the Matrix when you get a call. I would probably perfer to browse and do email on a tablet.

Cinch

ddrueckhammer

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2004
America's Wang
Sorry, I have already tried Cingular in my area and it was more expensive and had abysmal service compared to my current carrier (T-mobile). Additionally, their customer service was horrible. No phone (no matter how cool) could lure me back to Cingular.

MacBilly1976

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2007
I'm currently a verizon wireless carrier, and I will admit that I find the iPhone irresistable. I absolutely must have one, and will probably be jumping ship from verizon wireless to cingular as soon as the iPhone is actually available.

Question. Is anybody else planning on dumping their current wireless carrier and moving over to cingular because of the iPhone?

Same situation here! BUT, please keep in mind that Cingular's signal is not as good as Verizon's depending on where in the US you are. For example, I live in Secaucus, NJ, and Cingular signal is very poor here, so I bought a pre-paid SIM card to make some "field research" and find out how is going to be my experience then. I'm using a V3m with Verizon and a regular V3 with Cingular. Until now, it's quiet the same quality, they both have the same number of bars active, and when I move inside my house they also decrease performance at areas where there is not coverage either for one or the other. Let's hope the quality of reception of the iPhone is really good. I don't want to judge it in advance.

ero87

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
i'm switching to Cingular once the iPhone's kinks are worked out.

remember, don't rush to be a Revision A tester. you can just play with the iPhone in the apple stores, before you know it!

i can't wait :D

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Ew I wouldn't leave Verizon for Cingular (and then pay 500 more for the iPhone). Its a cool phone, but my enV does everything I want and more. It is an mp3 player, i can go on the internet, it has GPS, and I can watch movies on it. It has an actual keyboard, stereo speakers, a 2MP camera, and is smaller than the iPhone.

I love my phone :) If they have the iPhone for Verizon, I still wouldnt buy it cuz of the price. Plus verizon was rated best service and customer support, which further supports my claim that they have better service than verizon. Hehe

wootman

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2007
lucky Me!

lucky me, my 2 year contract with verison will end ri-gh-t about when the iphone is launched, and i want to wait a month or 2 until all the bugs are worked out. (my dad works in telecommunications, and there is tons of stuff that can go wrong with a device with as many features as the iphone)

a :apple: a day keeps M$ away!

Mac Dummy

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2003
I have nothing to worry about. I'm ready for the iPhone. I've had service with Cingular since 2004 and am well past my contact ending date. Besides my phone even though its Bluetooth capable its still a POS. Now I'm not usually a Gen 1 Rev A adopter but if there is a phone that will change the way people use cell phones then I'm all for it. A lot of features on the iPhone seem like such no-brainers now. Why hasn't the industry thought of them before.:)

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I did, well at least I will.

2 phones of my 4 phone plan ended last June/Julyish, the other two end this June.

I've been waiting for iPhone so I could go to the company that got it.

stealthman1

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2006
Ca
While I have very good service with T-mobile, I'll buy out my contract within minutes of my iPhones arrival. I generally stay away from first releases too, but not this time. Apple is breaking me of this, I ordered Apple TV the first day too, these products are too hard to pass up...

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Not a chance.

The only good thing about the iPhone is the GUI.

The software itself is nothing special and due to a closed 3rd party - its not flexible enough. It does not come with the apps I need and because Appler are controlling the software I very much doubt it ever will.

Apple got so close and then blew it.

I'm not paying FULL price for a phone that will STILL be locked to one carrier. Thanks but no thanks.

Too little for too much.

tomokun

macrumors member
May 21, 2006
Milwaukee, WI
I'll keep my SCH-A930 on VZW for a while. In WI atleast, VZW has a better family plan than Cingular, and thats what it boils down to.

Also I cant justify spending $500 on a phone.

17MBPC2D

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2006
AMEN!!! Cingular service has a dead spot right where I live, Verizon Wireless has the overall best cellular coverage even though their selection on phones are so so.

Sorry, I have already tried Cingular in my area and it was more expensive and had abysmal service compared to my current carrier (T-mobile). Additionally, their customer service was horrible. No phone (no matter how cool) could lure me back to Cingular.

camomac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
Left Coast

I would have to say the EXACT same thing.

cingular is not all that great in my area/opinion.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Yes, I will probably dump verizon and go cingular for the iphone. Helps that my contract will be up right around june.

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
Not when AT&T doesn't give a darn about customer privacy (or probably anyother phone company for that matter). Letting the Government spy on your phone records w/o a warrent, building storage centers to monitor/collect phone calls for the Government. :rolleyes:

Besides, the iPhone and its features would be a wast of my money, if I had any :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.