'Dune Case' for PCs Copies Mac Pro's Cylindrical Design

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 19, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

A new Kickstarter project, the "Dune Case," is offering up a PC case that looks awfully familiar, closely mimicking the well-known cylindrical design of Apple's mac pro.

Available in black or gold and made of aluminum, the Dune Case promises "an innovative housing" that's a "sleek and stylish" alternative to standard PC cases. The page doesn't reference the Mac Pro, instead treating the design as a fresh idea.

While the Dune Case is different than the Mac Pro internally, lacking the unified thermal core that is the Mac Pro's signature feature to absorb and disperse heat, the visual similarities are impossible to deny. One variance -- the Dune Case is much larger than the Mac Pro.

While a Mac Pro is priced at upwards of $2,000, the Dune Case PC case is being sold at an early bird price of $159. The Dune Case has thus far raised $38,000 out of $130,000 and there are 26 days to go on the campaign, but given the similarities to the Mac Pro, there's a chance Apple could make an effort to shut down the project before it's funded.

Article Link: 'Dune Case' for PCs Copies Mac Pro's Cylindrical Design
  2. BeSweeet macrumors 65816

Apr 2, 2009
    San Antonio, TX
    There's no resemblance to the Mac Pro whatsoever! /s
  3. nicho macrumors 68000

Feb 15, 2008
    Didn't I read Apple have some kind of design protection on the Mac Pro? Design patents granted somewhere?
  4. Markoth macrumors regular

Oct 1, 2015
  5. joshen macrumors member

May 27, 2015
  6. Porco macrumors 68020

Mar 28, 2005
    "He who controls a thing, can destroy a thing" -Paul Atreides
  7. Devie macrumors 6502a

Aug 30, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    The ultimate hackintosh case.

Until Apple make a fricken Mac Pro-Sumer this is what we're stuck with having to do. Where's our i7 with dedicated and user swappable gpu.
  8. knemonic macrumors 6502a

Jan 14, 2009
  9. Nevaborn macrumors 65816

Aug 30, 2013
    It's funny even looking at this thing despite being a blatant rip off you can tell it is cheap. Would love a side by side to see how much bigger this is than the genuine article.

Also no central thermal core makes this a waste of money frankly. Without proper heat dispersal this might as well be a trash can.
  10. cast128, Feb 19, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2016

cast128 macrumors member

Jul 24, 2003
    I kind of laughed at their 'official' response in regards to aesthetics titled "We're Not A Fruit."

We have received numerous questions and comments regarding Dune Case’s aesthetics and whether we considered this prior to Kickstarter.
    Please be assured, we did our due diligence. It would be foolish not to.
    Dune Case is just a case, not a computer. Prior art exists for cylindrical cases designs pre-2013. We refined our design to support mini-ITX components.
    We hope this reassures our current and future backers.

That is pretty vague and doesn't even begin to address their blatant rip off. Just because it is a computer case (not an actual computer) doesn't mean you can make it look exactly like the Mac Pro. Did anyone else notice that they used almost the exact same logo/symbols from Apple's Mac Pro page.
    Screen Shot 2016-02-19 at 6.55.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-19 at 6.55.43 PM.png
  11. OtherJesus macrumors 6502

Sep 28, 2005
    Bay Area, California
    Samsung is kicking themselves for not kick starting this Kickstarter first.
  12. BB1970 macrumors member

May 19, 2009
    Dune Case designer: "Can't innovate, my ... oh wait"
  13. Andres Cantu macrumors 68020

Andres Cantu

May 31, 2015
    Rio Grande Valley in South Texas
    Took long enough! Maybe this will inspire Apple to update theirs?
  14. Mahler12x macrumors regular

Feb 6, 2008
    Who cares? Apple was first, and not a soul exists that will say this ISN'T an Apple "knockoff," but it's awesome, it's beautiful, and if it works as advertised, it's brilliant.

I may be wrong, but you can't patent a "look." The fashion industry is a great example of this. There are exactly ZERO IP protections in the fashion industry and we're all the better for it.

Apple has decided on a model of great tech in a gorgeous design. Great tech that is entirely un-upgradable. That's totally fine. If I can have something, however, that both looks beautiful and is 100% upgradable, for a fraction of the cost, i.e. hackintosh, well, you do the math. I think it's good for everyone that this is happening.
  15. elvisimprsntr macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2013
    i've already got one. I can wave my hand over it and the top opens up.

16. ThomasJL macrumors 6502a

Oct 16, 2008
  17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    Well, they did do their due diligence.

Though I don't think they understand the meaning of due diligence.
  18. bladerunner2000 macrumors 65816

Jun 12, 2015
    If it can fit any PCIe GPU in there, it's already better than the current Mac Pro case... and by that extension, better than the Mac Pro of course.
  19. Mrjoedot macrumors regular

Dec 29, 2012
    Asean market
  20. modemthug macrumors regular

Apr 20, 2010
    I could go for a gold Mac Pro now that I think about it
  21. Mactendo macrumors 65816

Oct 3, 2012
    It's a pity that no trash can maker didn't shut down the new Mac Pro project before it was released to the public.
  22. Noble Actual macrumors 6502a

Sep 10, 2014
    Out of all the designs...they did to copy Apple's version of a miniature trash can.

What the **** is wrong with people.

Its like the iPhone 6 had ugly antenna bands sticking out, everyone decided it would be a great idea to copy such an ugly design.

People don't even try now. Its hilarious. :D
  23. CFreymarc Suspended

Sep 4, 2009
    Make it a Hackintosh!